Was the Aryan/Indo-European identity a racial or cultural one?

May 2017
Moon
Aryans being the ancient Brahmin/Hindu culture, Persian culture, Tocharian culture, Yamnaya culture, corded ware culture, celtic culture, etc.

Please offer evidence if possible. Thank you

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
"Old Persian proper name is traditionally derived from haxā- ( Sanskrit Sakha) "friend" and manah "thinking power", yielding "having a friend's mind." A more recent interpretation reads haxā- as "follower", giving "characterized by a follower's spirit."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achaemenes

Yes, possibly, Cyrus was an Aryan, but then, that does not mean that they were a different race. Like Daoist said Hindu, Persian, Tocharian, Yamnaya, Corded Ware people, Celts, Germanics, Greeks, Slavs, Balkans; all were influenced by Indo-Europen culture and language. All these did not belong to one race. Aryans mixed with all people they came in contact with. Culture, mythology and language were their identity.

Among Hindus, there are umpteen stories of Aryans mixing with indigenous people. Even the Kauravas and Pandavas of Mahabharata were the result of such a union and so was the supposed compiler of Vedas, the writer of 18 puranas and that of Brahma Sutras, Sage VedaVyasa.

BTW, Kauravas and Pandavas belonged to the Kuru dynasty. Perhaps Cyrus also was a Kuru (one of the Aryan tribes which came to India).
"Cyrus, as a word in English, is the Latinized form of the Greek Κῦρος, Kȳros, from Old Persian Kūruš. According to the inscriptions the name is reflected in Elamite Kuraš, Babylonian Ku(r)-raš/-ra-áš and Imperial Aramaic kwrš. The modern Persian form of the name is Koorosh." A striking resemblance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Asia
Do you have any evidence that it was cultural/linguistic? Didn't Cyrus (or a similar Persian Shah) imply that because his forefathers were Aryan, he was Aryan also?
If I say I am Chinese because my forefathers were Chinese. Is this a racist statement ?

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Within the Indian context, Aryans were outliers and had a racial identity during their earliest centuries. They slowly got assimilated into the Indians with time since they were small in numbers compared to the resident native Indians. Their main legacy is the Indo-Aryan languages, with minor effect in culture. Indians who speak Indo-Aryan are not Aryans racially, but only linguistically. Aryan culture got diluted a lot too with time by absorbing Indian culture, but some of it exist in the Vedic part of the Hinduism religion.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
In ancient Hindu traditions those who practiced Vedic way of life were referred as Arya. The Aryan race which was invented in 19th century is infact among the greatest forgery of human history.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Within the Indian context, Aryans were outliers and had a racial identity during their earliest centuries.
They were Northerners to the indigenous people and probably were fairer than them, but that too does not prove them to be a race. They traveled far and wide and mixed with others. So, a motley group with the same culture, mythology and language. They were generally not accompanied by women. Most Indians have the same mT-DNA.

Apr 2017
The Ancient World
Ever since the gradual settlement of mankind in the Neolithic and, in many cases, before that time, the lineage and ancestry (I don't like the word race, with all its connotations) of a people have been inseparable from their material culture. Hence, ancestry has always been attached with language, customs, beliefs, art, etc. And since there is now a growing mixture of ancestries and peoples (globalism), distinct cultures unfortunately begin to wear off and decay. For this reason, I find great reason to support regionalism as well as a new theory (originally an ancient practice) that has been called ethnopluralism.

Last edited:
May 2017
Moon
If I say I am Chinese because my forefathers were Chinese. Is this a racist statement ?
Racial doesn't equal racist.

So could Aryans refer to some philosophical group or secret society? Like a travelling group of Brahmins/Sages? Though Aryans also seem to be very warlike and aggressive too.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions