Was the continent of Africa formed by the creation of the suez canal in 1869??

Nov 2014
Mersey
Was there a continent called 'africa' before that? I know there was a city in carthage called ifriqiya by the romans which is where the name originates.

Jan 2015
California
Was there a continent called 'africa' before that? I know there was a city in carthage called ifriqiya by the romans which is where the name originates.
Called Ifriqiya by the Arabs, Africa by the Romans.

The name Africa being in use for the whole continent probably came a short time later, very few knew about the land under the Sahara though.

May 2014
Earth
No more so than South America with the Panama Canal.
Not exactly, since Suez is a sea level canal and Panama is a raised one. There is a stream in Yellowstone National Park which one side flows to the Pacific and the other to the Gulf of Mexico (Named Pacific and Atlantic respectively, iirc). Technically, that divides the entire continent, but no one thinks of North America as two or more. For all I know, there may be more.

There is a lot of leeway with continents. Europe is really a big peninsula, part of Asia/Europe/Africa, and North America is connected to South America for only 4 real continents in the world (AEA, NASA, Australia, and Antarctica). Another issue is that off shore islands are included if connected by continental shelf in most accounts.

Really getting messy is the issue of floating land masses. One hit Alaska every so often in the past tens of millions of years,and India is crushed together with Asia. But for histories sake, since the beginning of modern civilization started pretty much in the area of Asia/Africa/Europe meeting point, then we started to think of it in this way.

The Phoenicians are said to be the first to navigate all around Africa, but this was not common knowledge. The Phoenicians especially were tight lipped of their navigational trips, more so than the Greeks and Roman competitors they had.