Was the difference in performance between Russia in WW1 and the USSR in WW2 all down to American Lend Lease?

Nov 2014
ph
Was the defeat of Russia in 1917 vs. Soviet victory in 1945 all down to the American supplies from Lend Lease? And the massive logistical boost it gave to the Soviet war effort? Since in WW1 Russia also received some supplies from the Western Allies, but no American ones, so was that the reason why Russia lost in WW1, or did the Russian Empire have worse generals than the Soviets from 1942 onwards?

Nov 2014
ph
Or maybe in WW1 there was no bombing campaign against Germany? But the naval blockade also did as much damage in the end.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
No..

6 months into Barbarossa , Germany had already suffered crippling losses and its first major defeat of the war (battle for Moscow)

where as Tsarist Russia weapon industry was limited , the USSR churned out en masse tanks, arty and aircraft

for example WW1 aircraft production was

France 68 000
UK 58 000
Germany 49 000
US 15 000
Russia 5 000

in WW2 it was

US 300 000
USSR 158 000
UK 132 000
Germany 95 000

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I would add to tomar's post army's mindset: while in WWI soldiers were engaged in a butchery that didn't necessarily saw the sense (and it wasn't only Russians, remember French mutinies?) in the WWII they were fighting against an existential threat: the very existence of their people.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Was the defeat of Russia in 1917 vs. Soviet victory in 1945 all down to the American supplies from Lend Lease? And the massive logistical boost it gave to the Soviet war effort? Since in WW1 Russia also received some supplies from the Western Allies, but no American ones, so was that the reason why Russia lost in WW1, or did the Russian Empire have worse generals than the Soviets from 1942 onwards?
In WW1 Russian was not defeated, it withdrew from the war after the October revolution

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
In WW1 Russian was not defeated, it withdrew from the war after the October revolution
Eh, by the time they withdrew from the war, Germany controlled much of the Ukraine, including Kiev and in the north had captured Riga and the Estonian islands thus getting closer and closer to Petrograd. And there was no effective Russian force to stop them from advancing further since the civil war had broken out and the country was in chaos. I would say Russia was defeated.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Eh, by the time they withdrew from the war, Germany controlled much of the Ukraine, including Kiev and in the north had captured Riga and the Estonian islands thus getting closer and closer to Petrograd. And there was no effective Russian force to stop them from advancing further since the civil war had broken out and the country was in chaos. I would say Russia was defeated.
My point is I believe the Eastern Front would have remained the stalemate it was becoming had not the revolution taken place. For example without the agitation fermented by the Feb Revolution I think the Kerensky offensive would have been reasonably successful in July 1917

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
My point is I believe the Eastern Front would have remained the stalemate it was becoming had not the revolution taken place. For example without the agitation fermented by the Feb Revolution I think the Kerensky offensive would have been reasonably successful in July 1917
Sure, but the result was, primarily due to the revolution, a defeat for Russia. Germany was something like 100 km away from Petrograd. It was one of the reasons the Bolsheviks decided to switch the capital back to Moscow. And, unlike in World War II, the Bolsheviks were pretty much unable to stop them thus they had to sign the humiliating Brest-Litovsk Treaty.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Underlankers actually created a thread about just this topic seven years ago:

You might want to check out that thread.

Anyway, FWIW, Russia wasn't so much defeated in WWI as stabbed in the back by Bolshevik defeatists and subversives. True, Russia did lose various battles to Germany during WWI, but it was winning against both A-H and the Ottomans and even its defeats by Germany generally weren't too crippling towards its own war effort. I seem to recall that out of all of Germany's military victories over Russia, only Tannenberg was really decisive--and that was when Russia was actually invading Germany rather than the reverse.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That was due to Bolshevik defeatism and subversion undermining Russian military morale, no? AFAIK, Russian military morale really began taking a hit when the Bolsheviks were allowed to begin spreading defeatist propaganda among Russian front-line troops in 1917.