Was the French revolution the most important event in human history?

Jan 2020
Cleveland Ohio
Many say that the invention of this or that, the steam engine , the auto, the polio vaccine , penicillin , the invention of the wheel or steel , I think the game changer was when the people had enough and stuck their rulers heads on pikes, what say you ?

[MOD EDIT: Video removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2017
France
No,it was important but not the must.The must importants evenments are the definitive breaks of the world:Jesus Christ,Martin Luther,Karl Marx.

Jan 2020
Cleveland Ohio
No,it was important but not the must.The must importants evenments are the definitive breaks of the world:Jesus Christ,Martin Luther,Karl Marx.
i disagree could you elaborate, marx was probably right but to far a head of histime to do anythng more than mayhem jesus? luther? relgion kept us backwards, marx just created a pile of corpses, liberalism created the modern world we live in with technology and moern medicine electricity andpublic schoools not relgion not marxism

Sep 2013
France
Well, if Christianism kept us backward, how would the world be if it has not shaped Europe for more than 1000 years, at the head of the technologic / scientific developments. Universities and so on... We would live in Andromeda Galaxy by now...
The US was shaped by religious people, I don't think they are anywhere backwards Cuba or North Korea...
Anyway I understand why dupuydumazeldan put Marx on the list. Indeed, the world changed heavily following his books, you cannot deny that.
French revolution was heavy important, and nowadays it is often underestimated, but not as much as the life and death of Jesus Christ who changed the whole world, even where there are still no christians today, because it shaped all the big European States who ruled and colonized the world, and then the US.
Nowadays, as Chesterton said, the western world is full of christian virtues gone mad.

Jan 2020
cumberstone
i disagree could you elaborate, marx was probably right but to far a head of histime to do anythng more than mayhem jesus? luther? relgion kept us backwards, marx just created a pile of corpses, liberalism created the modern world we live in with technology and moern medicine electricity andpublic schoools not relgion not marxism
That time the classic liberalism was vastly different than the modern 21th century leftist liberalism, which has a lot of inheritance from Marxist way of thinking, except the economic Marxism (nationalization collectivization)

Reactions: Teslatron
Aug 2013
Finland
The Neolithic Revolution. I think no other event caused such a fundamental change for humanity.
For sure it is the most important development that has happened to humans, at least since we developed modern abstract thought and with it, language. But is it an event as meant by the OP?

The industrial revolution would be another development that's hugely important, even more so if it ends up destroying most of human civilization through global warming. However, it's also not a single event.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The French revolution more important than the invention of the wheel, writing, the printing press? Or the development of Athenian democracy, the rise of the Roman Empire, the victory of Charles Martel over the Moors? Or even the Industrial and American revolutions, or the unification of China under the Qin?

Please.

And I'm sure we can discuss the subject without the need to promote a YouTube channel. The members here are quite knowledgeable.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
This question shows a certain provinciality (to put it mildly). It is of very little importance to the Islamic world, to Indian, Chinese, SE Asian and Japanese civilization, or Africa. In the long run it has only been of very marginal significance to the Anglosphere. Royal absolutism had already been thwarted in Great Britain in the 17th Century, and political institutions and civil society evolved in their own way within Britain, the United States, and going forward in time the Dominions; and parliamentary systems within the Commonwealth have broadly followed the British model (India being an extremely important example of this). So to reply: the French Revolution was one of the most important events in the post-medieval history of Continental Europe (especially western and central). It was also, if one may put in that way, something of a mess, and the implications of it took a very long time to sort out. It was not as if the revolution immediately set things on a long-lasting course, as was the case with the American Revolution. Even in Europe within the releant period, was it inherently as important as, say, the scientific and industrial revolutions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
As far as stucking rulers' heads on pikes, the English did that with Charles I as well, a full century and a half before the French Revolution.

Reactions: Futurist