Was the French revolution the most important event in human history?

May 2017
France
Thank you very much Ironcumber for the images of the battle of Coutras (1587).At the same time, a french-german-swiss protestant army entered in the east under the comandment of the german burgrave Fabian von Dohna von Schlobitten,who was defeated by the duque Henry de Guise at Vimory and Auneau.The earl Azachius III von Dohna,nephew of Fabian,received in 1685 in Bale (Switzerland) Esperance Dupuy Montbrun,descendant of Charles,executed in 1575.They married and their descendants are very well known:in Germany,the amiral von Dohna,and his son,the general,friend with Stauffenberg,executed in 1944.And in England,the Prince Philip of Edinburgh.....

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Which name ? which village ? I was the youngest member of the genealogical huguenot club of the "Societe de l Histoire du Protestantisme Français",created in 1977...The society has been created in 1851 by the baron Fernand de Schickler,who offered his particular hotel near the boulevard Saint Germain,at the place of the old huguenot cimetary of Saint Germain.
I'm afraid I forget the name or names, it was my uncle who was the genealogist of the family.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
In 43 years, we have created an enormous documentation.With 150 000 books we have the biggest private bibliothec of France.
It is a most interesting subject. The revocation came into my mind because in connection with a book that I'm writing at the moment, I have had occasion to examine the life-history of a lady of the 18th Century who belonged to a family of manufacturers in Abbeville, and her father was able to gain control of the business after the revocation, because he became involved in it while working for a Protestant banker, and the business iteslf, with the accompanying monopoly, had been owned by a Protestant who left France because of the changing religious atmosphere. The lady herself became a Jansenist, but that is another story!

I always wonder how different the the history of France might have been if there had continued to be such a large Protestant minority, and one with quite particualr skills.

Jun 2015
Scotland
The short answer: French Revolution was very important because of the size of the population of France, but politically and socially it was not really innovative part of the human history. The revolution just used already long invented ideas....
Yep! It was just another extension of the enlightenment as the American Revolution was though that has turned out to be more significant.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Poitiers was a bit more than that , it was the rock on which the Carolingian based their rise to ( official ) power
rightly or wrongly , it was sold down the ages as the climax of a clash of civilizations

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Poitiers was a bit more than that , it was the rock on which the Carolingian based their rise to ( official ) power
rightly or wrongly , it was sold down the ages as the climax of a clash of civilizations
True, but Charles Martel already had a solid grip on power before Tours.