Was the French revolution the most important event in human history?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
yes , of course that's why I put the parenthesis
however I'm less concerned about " historical truth " than historical traditional narrative

for French people , in their traditional oral memory , I'll stick to my three choices
johanne , the Bastille and Verdun
an honorable mention of the term "...it's a Berezina "
this one was seared into popular consciousness to the level of a common language expression

Apr 2014
new york
Many say that the invention of this or that, the steam engine , the auto, the polio vaccine , penicillin , the invention of the wheel or steel , I think the game changer was when the people had enough and stuck their rulers heads on pikes, what say you ?

[MOD EDIT: Video removed]
America predates the French Revolution

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
yes , of course that's why I put the parenthesis
however I'm less concerned about " historical truth " than historical traditional narrative

for French people , in their traditional oral memory , I'll stick to my three choices
johanne , the Bastille and Verdun
an honorable mention of the term "...it's a Berezina "
this one was seared into popular consciousness to the level of a common language expression
It does seem though that Pepin did not base his claim on the throne on the victory at Tours.

Jun 2015
Scotland
True, but Charles Martel already had a solid grip on power before Tours.
True but had he lost that may well not have remained the case. It would probably have altered the make up of southern France and almost certainly encouraged more large scale invasions and possibly conquest. Thinking a France with out its south and Biscay coast or perhaps no France as we know it.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
True but had he lost that may well not have remained the case. It would probably have altered the make up of southern France and almost certainly encouraged more large scale invasions and possibly conquest. Thinking a France with out its south and Biscay coast or perhaps no France as we know it.
Do keep in mind that merely a decade after Tours the Muslim world erupted into a civil war. Also they were getting overextended.

Jun 2015
Scotland
Do keep in mind that merely a decade after Tours the Muslim world erupted into a civil war. Also they were getting overextended.
The danger of speculation! I think we can agree that losing would have been bad, how bad and what the consequences would have been is open to discussion. Personally I think the potential downside is often wrongly dismissed out of hand and I would hold that it is one of the most if not the most significant events in French history.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The danger of speculation! I think we can agree that losing would have been bad, how bad and what the consequences would have been is open to discussion. Personally I think the potential downside is often wrongly dismissed out of hand and I would hold that it is one of the most if not the most significant events in French history.
I just don't see the Caliphate committing to another ambitious conquest with all the internal trouble brewing.

Jan 2020
cumberstone
As I said, the French revolution was only important because the huge population (importance) of France, and it exploded to Europe via Napoleon. Intellectually, I can't see any creativity any new idea in the French revolution...

Jun 2015
Scotland
I just don't see the Caliphate committing to another ambitious conquest with all the internal trouble brewing.
Perhaps, perhaps not. Even without a conquest the threat was significant. Areas of what is now southern France ( Aquitaine) in particular were quite used to acting independantly and were not above being client kingdoms of the Caliphate. A much more organised and resistant south could still significantly change what we see today.

Dec 2017
Florida
As I said, the French revolution was only important because the huge population (importance) of France, and it exploded to Europe via Napoleon. Intellectually, I can't see any creativity any new idea in the French revolution...

Nationalism? 🤷‍♂️