Was The Pinochet Regime Behind Pablo Neruda's Death?

Was The Pinochet Regime Behind Pablo Neruda's Death?

• Total voters

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Neruda died less than a month after the 1973 coup placed pinochet in power, Neruda was a lifelong comunist party member and an active artist in politics serving as a senator and multiple times as a consul and ambassador abroad during his lifetime. He is an extremely respected cultural figure (a nobel prize will do that) in Chile regardless of his political affiliation and his poetry along with that of Gabriela Mistral are seen somewhat as national treasures (sort of). Anyways his death is obviously 'polemic' because he died so close to the regime change and given his political affialiation many started to wonder 'what if'?
There have been two autopsy's done to his remains in recent years, one states he died of natural causes (he had prostate cancer) and another claims but is somewhat vague that he died because of an injection that was administered when he was in the hospital for his cancer in his final day.
Though I can see the military going after him and killing him, there is just no evidence much less irrefutable evidence, and occam's razor tells me he probably died of a cancer which to this day is extremely deadly much less over 40 years ago. Sadly even deaths are now political (Allende has been exhumed so many times now I lost count, trying to prove he was murdered even though the majority of these autopsies say clearly he commited suicide).