Was the Ramayana actually set in and around today’s Afghanistan?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
You don't Aryanize Aryans. Yes, Academia.edu is like blogs and Wikipedia the holy grail.
Rama and Krishna are indigenous Hindu legends. If there is no provision for peer-review then it is as good as being a blog.
If you are talking about the paper of Mahinda Palihawadana, then I would like to mention that Mahinda Palihawadana is a well respected Sri Lankan philologist who published quite a few papers in peer-reviewed journals of Indian philology.
I am not contesting Mahinda Palihawadana on time scale about writing of Ramayana. Actually I quite agree with him. The question is: 1. Were there any events? 2. What reason has he to assign the supposed events to 1000 BC or so? They could be even older. I do not know bout how old the tradition is at Bisrakh.

From my link in the previous post:
"The Ravana temple is being built in Mahadev Amarnath and Navgrah temple premises in city's Chandpole area, where idols of Ravana's main deities, Shiva and Devi Kharanna stand."

That is my city and my neighborhood. I too am a brahmin from Chandpole, Jodhpur (though not a local). I do not know about Devi Kharanna. I do not mind if they are Ravana worshipers, Ravana after all was a great devotee of Lord Shiva and a great scholar.

Last edited:
Jul 2017
NA
^
I can't. It was quite some time back. It was just something I stumbled on while doing my own research on ancient Sri Lanka & related stuff, like Mahavamsa, Vijayabahu etc., becos I wanted that time to get more info on said material.

You might want to try surfing around for stuff like earliest arrival of Sinhala in Sri Lanka, and you might get lucky, who knows.
Thank you! I will do as you suggested.

Jul 2017
NA
I am not contesting Mahinda Palihawadana on time scale about writing of Ramayana. Actually I quite agree with him. The question is: 1. Were there any events? 2. What reason has he to assign the supposed events to 1000 BC or so? They could be even older. I do not know bout how old the tradition is at Bisrakh.

"The Ravana temple is being built in Mahadev Amarnath and Navgrah temple premises in city's Chandpole area, where idols of Ravana's main deities, Shiva and Devi Kharanna stand."

That is my city and my neighborhood. I too am a brahmin from Chandpole, Jodhpur (though not a local). I do not know about Devi Kharanna. I do not mind if they are Ravana worshipers, Ravana after all was a great devotee of Lord Shiva and a great scholar.
Actually Mahinda Palihawadana did not suggest that date- he did not bother much about the dating of Ramayana; in his paper, just about the problem of Lanka; it was J. L. Brockington in his Ramayana chapters of his book "The Sanskrit Epics" that considered so- but he too gave a generalised dating of 1500 BC - 700 BC period for any of the original events of the Ramayana. This is because virtually everyone in the world considers Ramayana and Rama as having anything to do with Indo-Aryans majorly and not with non-Indo-Aryans; you do not do so, I think, which is fine, but I just want to note that the scholarly opinion out there is that the character of Rama if historical was most likely an Indo-Aryan person.

Edit: And thank you very much about the information of the Bisarakh village and Chandpole.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Well, many riverine islands are termed as Lanka at many places in India. Lanka is a locality in Varanasi also. I have heard of Lanka in Odisha also. Perhaps Valmiki arranged the geography in his epic differently, though I have to agree, quite precisely. :)

Last edited:

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Was the Ramayana actually set in and around today’s Afghanistan?

An examination of a book by physicist Rajesh Kochhar debunks the notion that the events of the epic took place in modern-day India.

Was the Ramayana actually set in and around today?s Afghanistan?

Fact, or fable?

Over to you, guys.
Hardly any chance. Rama was the king of Koshala and while his wife Seeta was the princess of Videha/Mithila kingdom. In India, people still today uses the ancient name of their territory. Koshala(modern name Awadh, word Awadh originated from Ayodhya) still exists in Eastern Uttar Pradesh while Mithila is still referred as a region North-East Bihar state of India and Eastern Terai in Nepal. Apart from the Ramayana talks about Rama, Lakshman and Seeta crossing the Ganges river and moving to the South of the country. Lanka is also referred as a land on the other side of the sea.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Rama and Krishna are indigenous Hindu legends. If there is no provision for peer-review then it is as good as being a blog.I am not contesting Mahinda Palihawadana on time scale about writing of Ramayana. Actually I quite agree with him. The question is: 1. Were there any events? 2. What reason has he to assign the supposed events to 1000 BC or so? They could be even older. I do not know bout how old the tradition is at Bisrakh.

Yes, Rama and Krishna are indigenous Aryan legends. I fully agree with you.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Aryans did not know Rama and Krishna. I have checked all 1,028 hymns and 10,600 verses of RigVeda. Of course, after assimilation, their descendants worship Rama, Krishna and other indigenous Gods and Goddesses just like any other Hindu. Even many of the Greek, Persians, Sakas, Kushanas and Hunas accepted the the indigenous religion. What is the problem in accepting something which is so obvious? ;)

"Devadevasa Va[sude]vasa Garudadhvajo ayam karito i[a] Heliodorena bhagavatena Diyasa putrena Takhasilakena Yonadatena agatena maharajasa
Amtalikitasa upa[m]ta samkasam-rano Kasiput[r]asa [Bh]agabhadrasa tratarasavasena [chatu]dasena rajena vadhamanasa."
Inscription on Heliodorus' pillar in Vidisha, 113 BC.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Well, many riverine islands are termed as Lanka at many places in India. Lanka is a locality in Varanasi also. I have heard of Lanka in Odisha also. Perhaps Valmiki arranged the geography in his epic differently, though I have to agree, quite precisely. :)
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but AFAIK, the place denotion lanka is/was not always or exclusively used only for an island, unlike dvipa.

Okay, Langkawi (derived from Lanka Vi, perhaps) in Malay Peninsula is an island. But the ancient kingdom of Langkasuka (from Lankha Sukkha), combining Kedah & Pattani, in approximately the same region, was not an island at all. It was more like the shoulder region of the peninsula.

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Aryans did not know Rama and Krishna. I have checked all 1,028 hymns and 10,600 verses of RigVeda. Of course, after assimilation, their descendants worship Rama, Krishna and other indigenous Gods and Goddesses just like any other Hindu. Even many of the Greek, Persians, Sakas, Kushanas and Hunas accepted the the indigenous religion. What is the problem in accepting something which is so obvious? ;)

"Devadevasa Va[sude]vasa Garudadhvajo ayam karito i[a] Heliodorena bhagavatena Diyasa putrena Takhasilakena Yonadatena agatena maharajasa
Amtalikitasa upa[m]ta samkasam-rano Kasiput[r]asa [Bh]agabhadrasa tratarasavasena [chatu]dasena rajena vadhamanasa."
Inscription on Heliodorus' pillar in Vidisha, 113 BC.
You have either not read or are deliberately misrepresenting the facts. Krishna is a Rshi of some Suktas in Rig Veda. Rama JAmadagnya is a Rshi of a Sukta in Rig Veda. The point is that Rama and Krishna are Aryan names.

Is that hard to understand? Your arguments have been busted before and I have no trouble busting them again.