Was the treatment of Catholics in Northern Ireland similar to the treatment of the Bantu blacks under Apartheid?

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
A bit of nitpicking, but the word "coloured" didn`t mean "black" in apartheit context, but a people of mixed race. They had more rights than blacks, but not at the level of white South Africans.
Yes I know there were different racial categories that's why I used speech marks since the description for people who were or are 'African' or partly so changes across time and PC definitions.

Reactions: Lalli

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Why was Britain allowed to get away with it but not South Africa?
The main reason it that it was pre-world war 2 period. Other thing is the discrimination against Irish was religion based, religion based discrimination still exists in many part of the world. The one in South Africa was based on race.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I like 'American Pickers' an American reality television series on the History Channel and because of it i started to watch 'Salvage Hunters' similar British production in which an Welshman Drew Pritchard travels here and there looking to buy various valuable items for resale. In one of the episodes he found some Welsh Not. I didnt know what is so i checked. No wonder why there are so few Welsh-speaking and Irish-speaking people btw today (i mean as a first native language).

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I like 'American Pickers' an American reality television series on the History Channel and because of it i started to watch 'Salvage Hunters' similar British production in which an Welshman Drew Pritchard travels here and there looking to buy various valuable items for resale. In one of the episodes he found some Welsh Not. I didnt know what is so i checked. No wonder why there are so few Welsh-speaking and Irish-speaking people btw today (i mean as a first native language).
Its very much contested of how much the 'Welsh not' was actually used and its effects, the % of first language Welsh speakers stands at around 20-25% which is perhaps what it should be considering the massive in-migration to Wales during the Industrial Revolution.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Its very much contested of how much the 'Welsh not' was actually used and its effects, the % of first language Welsh speakers stands at around 20-25% which is perhaps what it should be considering the massive in-migration to Wales during the Industrial Revolution.
Thanks for the info/ apparently i need to research the issue. My own people were for nearly half a millennium subjects to the Ottoman sultans and when another empire (Russia) liberated us we had pretty huge amount of Ottoman Turkish (a bit different from Modern Turkish of today) loanwords in our vocabulary. It took us some time to change these words with others / our scholars used certain amount of Russian words to replace undesirable Ottoman Turkish ones. Regarding the religion we have presently an ethno-religious minority in my country known as Pomaks / descendants of native Bulgarians who converted to Islam during the Ottoman rule on this peninsula.

I see you are Irish. May i ask what is situation with the Irish language in Éire? Thanks in advance.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
In Northern Ireland Catholics were not treated well but treated better than Blacks in South Africa. My Grandfather couldn't work in the shipyards or linen mills because he was Catholic. But ironically he was allowed to become a professional soldier (Ist Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers), go into Belgium in 1914 and take 3 wounds during the course of the Great War. Well, a fella has to make a living.

My mother told many stories of humiliations Catholics suffered from the ruling Protestants and of harassment from police and B Specials. She still gets pissed 75 years after coming to America.

Ulster, eh? Would you be from Donegal, Cavan or Monaghan?
I didn't know that. It sounds somewhat like blacks in the US south, maybe not like in the deep south.

I see you are Irish. May i ask what is situation with the Irish language in Éire? Thanks in advance.
I think Kevin is Welsh. He seems pro-British.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Thanks for the info/………………………………...

The Welsh Nots certainly existed and ,as in many countries, a central national language was considered important and regional languages and dialects discouraged but the fall in Welsh is due more likely to the huge influx of immigarnts from all over the world into the South Wales coalfield.

I am actually Welsh living in Ireland.

The Irish language situation is complex and not a little controversial ;-
1. Official language of the state
2. Spoken by over 90% of the population
3. Seen as a vital component of Irish identity
4. Compulsary ,in theory, for all school children
5. Often hated by those same children.
6. 90% spoke it in school, few when they leave.
7. Numbers of first language speakers are falling and may only be 6-7% population
8. English completely dominates despite massive and expensive support by government for the language.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Fair comment. I don’t know where the Welsh Not was supposedly used but the fact is that Welsh was the predominant language in geographically most of the country until very recently and remains so in many places. As you say the percentages are skewed by the heavily anglicised English speaking areas of South Wales and by recent immigration from England. In passing, I read somewhere that Wales is the only country where immigration has raised the average age.