Was the trial and execution of Charles I justified?

Was his execution justified

• Yes

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 41.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Jan 2019
England
It could be argued that Charles should have been executed. This is because Charles raised his standards and started the war. This proves that his execution was justified because he was found guilty on high treason and he refused to compromise or except, a new constitutional settlement with parliament, who were willing to bargain with him. This also supports the assertion that he should have been executed because Charles renewed the war against parliament after surrendering to them

Jan 2019
England
It could be argued that Charles should have been executed. This is because Charles raised his standards and started the war. This proves that his execution was justified because he was found guilty on high treason and he refused to compromise or except, a new constitutional settlement with parliament, who were willing to bargain with him. This also supports the assertion that he should have been executed because Charles renewed the war against parliament after surrendering to them
IT WAS PART OF MY ESSAY FOR SKL SO I DECIDED TO HELP U GUYS OUT THERE STRUGGLING

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
His execution was plainly illegal; if one wants to defend it, one has to defend it as an act of revolutionary justice. It has to be said, however, that Charles brought this fate upon himself by (a) refusing to refuse a reasonable settlement through honest negotiation (which would certainly have been possible) and (b) by renewing the conflict. He was simply impossible to deal with and I find it hard to criticize his opponents for taking the course that they did. To say that the King committed high treason by raising his standards is simply absurd, a merely rhetorical statement.

Jan 2019
England
It could be argued that Charles should have been executed. This is because Charles raised his standards and started the war. This proves that his execution was justified because he was found guilty on high treason and he refused to compromise or except, a new constitutional settlement with parliament, who were willing to bargain with him. This also supports the assertion that he should have been executed because Charles renewed the war against Parliament after initially surrendering to them.

However, it could be argued that Charles should not have been executed. This is because the king was not given a fair trial as is required by the Magna Carta. This suggests that the execution was not justified because I truly don’t agree with chopping off a king’s head. This also supports the assertion that his execution was not justified because treason is according to the law is a crime against the king the sovereign authority of England.

Overall I believe Charles should not have been executed. This is because you can’t break the law to get your own king executed. For example, he didn’t answer to the question if he was guilty or not and parliament didn’t do anything. That is not right and in my opinion I think that he deserved to live.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
There is the legal point (as you say, the King did not commit treason under the existing law, and his trial was itself not carried out in accordance with law), there is the moral point, and there is the issue of political practicality - or indeed necessity - in a revolutionary context. But the pretence of legality in his so-called trial was a pretence and nothing more, this a political execution which was bound to follow as soon as he was subjected to a trial of that kind.

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
They had completely defeated him and had him captive, yet they were willing to allow him to regain the throne if he would agree to lose some of his Royal powers, instead he tried to do a deal with foreign nation's in order to regain his throne by force :confused:
I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.
Conspiring with a foreign power = death sentence
As it was for Mary Queen of Scots