Was there any connection between the Mayans and the Egyptians?

Aug 2012
Washington State, USA.
The limits of technology in the Bronze Age forced people to build pyramids if they wanted to build a truly grand structure. The Mayan pyramids were built long after the Egyptian ones, but those Mayans had similar limits to their technology as those Egyptians had.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Atlantis is an invention of Plato. The huge problem with the Atlantis truthers are they cherry pick bits and pieces out of the context of the story.

For example, he identifies that Atlantis was an expansive Empire that lost a war against the Golden Age Athenians 9000 years prior to Solon. The source is the Egyptian City of Sais which supposedly maintained its writing from 8000 years prior to Solon. Multiple deluges wiped the world clean of civilization, except for Sais, due to the Nile.

So, there are a few things to note.
First: Sais was the political and knowledge capital of Egypt in the time of Solon, and quite old... although, not 8000 years old, it was built around 1100 BC, making it around 500 years old in the time of Solon.
Second: Egyptian writing and script is nowhere near 8000 years old. Writing dates back to 3400 BC, or about 2800 years before Solon.
Third: and perhaps most critical. It’s clear that Atlantis, as an Island with a powerful navy, mirrors the long walled Athens, and Atlantis as an Empire reflects the expansive Delphic League - also known as the Athenian Empire. The more noble spirited Athens reflects the Monarchal system which the Peloponnesian League upheld... While Athens and the Delphic came from a culture of Tyranny and Democracy - two forms of government which Plato was very negative against. The war between Athens and Atlantis seems like a hyperbolic metaphor for the Peloponesian war.

On the topic of pyramids. They’re a logical geometric shape for a civilization to construct a large building out of. Also incredibly durable, so when all other buildings crumble, it tends to be the pyramids that remain. Additionally, Egyptian pyramids were built differently from the Mesoamerican pyramids. In fact, the architecture of ancient Egypt in general is vastly different from Mesoamerica. Most importantly though: the Mayans didn’t begin building anything until after the Bronze Age collapse in Egypt... The New Kingdom of Egypt, which fell during this collapse, was a different civilization than the Old Kingdom (which fell 1200 years prior). When the first Mesoamerican pyramids were built by the Olmecs in 1000-400 BC, the Egyptian New Kingdom has collapsed, and Egypt had been conquered by the Persian Empire. When the recognizable Mayan pyramids were built, it was 250 AD to 900 AD: In this period, Egypt was a Roman province and it had joined the Palmyrine Empire in the crisis of the third century. Shortly after it had been given to the Byzantine Empire, and then conquered by the Arab Empire.

No link. Different architecture, different continent, different period of time. Unless the ancient Egyptians went there and waited over 2 thousand years, or the city of Atlantis somehow was real and waited 10,000 years without anyone knowing.
.... yes, I bought up the time warp thing . I have several times, if anything, to hear their answers .

This guys response was " I admit it is the 'elephant in the room' " . :D But then he tried ; " They where hiding out in the Mediterranean awaiting the right time and place . "

:)

- interesting about the two forms of government , thanks .

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I have a great faith in humans endeavor to make a buck or go to places nobody has been before
however , for regular transatlantic contacts this would need some serious proof

we are not talking of on lone ship , half foundered who had run before a a storm and ended somewhere the half dead crew had no idea where that was
the concept imply knowledge of the world transmitted across generations

that's a pretty unlikely scenario with so far no hard evidence whatsoever

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
.... yes, I bought up the time warp thing . I have several times, if anything, to hear their answers .

This guys response was " I admit it is the 'elephant in the room' " . :D But then he tried ; " They where hiding out in the Mediterranean awaiting the right time and place . "

:)

- interesting about the two forms of government , thanks .
Yeah, basically Plato was an Athenian who is saying in short: “You might not be aware, but we weren’t the good guys in the Peloponnesian war.”

He saw the best government as Monarchy because the Monarch had an unfiltered/non-corrupted legitimacy to leading the state, and should therefore have the most interest in the success of the state. Meanwhile, the leadership of tyrants and democrats was rife with opportunism which lead to demagoguery and the elimination of political enemies. He saw Democracy as basically one step away from tyranny; he also saw democracy and tyranny has providing very unhappy and disingenuous leaders: aside from the opportunism to get to the position, their methods of leadership were always focused on maintaining power rather than maintaining the state.

Athens was the center of the Peloponnesian league, and while it was a democracy, it treated the other members as though it were the tyrant state. Basically, all the other states provided soldiers, money, and ships to Athens to defend the league; any insubordination was punished with MORE soldiers, ships, and wealth to be taxed. Refusal to comply, or a move to leave the league was punished with a declaration of war, and since the Delphic League was primarily Ionic State on Greek Islands, they were at the mercy of a gigantic unstoppable Armada.

In the end, ambition combined with natural disaster destroyed the Athenian fleet, Then the Peloponnesian league was able to win the victory.

In Plato’s view: while the Peloponnesians were foreign to the Athenians (sharing only Greek heritage), Plato saw them as the champions of a nobler way than the Athenians. In victory, they did not abuse Athens in the way the Athenians abused their victims when they achieved victory. The moral of the story was that the greatness of Athens was really more of an illusion than all their wealth and substantial military assets would have suggested; this is the same as Atlantis. He would also suggest that divine forces were at work against an immoral society, although we’d today analyze it as the psychology of the people involved: this wouldn’t be an alien concept to Plato as he would see Psychology as the results of the work of the gods.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
There is no evidence that I know of that proves any connection between S America and Africa in pre-Columbian times. The only circumstantial evidence is finding traces of nicotine and cocaine in mummies in Egypt, but there known species of plants in Africa that also contain nicotine.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I think that has been debunked ... from the ideas and associations that those pushing it (not the original testers) had ( intercontinental trade between Sth America and Egypt ) Also I think it wasnt cocaine ... doesnt that require a refining process that was invented relatively recently ? It was some type of similar alkaloid .... I think .

The Egyptians used at least two known plants that contain nicotine .

But thats what woo wooers do ...... test shows some alkaloids and nicotine

next thing you know the Egyptians have imported ciggies and ' Bolivian marching powder'