Was there ever a king of Breton descent in France?

Aug 2018
America
What the title says. Any king who comes from Brittany, or at least has some Breton descent, counts.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Um, a person normally has two parents, who each have two parents, who each have two parents, who each have two parents and so on.

Thus a person has slots or positions for 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 great great grandparents, 32 great great great grandparents, etc.

So a person will have slots or positions for 1,024 ancestors 10 generations back, 1,048,576 ancestors 20 generations back, and so on. Of course marriages between distant cousins and other relatives will reduce the actual number of ancestors, but a person will still have many, many, many ancestors if their ancestry can be traced back as far as that of modern European royalty and high nobility can be. This makes it extremely improbable that no King of France ever had any traceable Breton ancestry, though possibly such ancestry would be in very remote generations.

Duke Francis II of Brittany (1433-1488) probably counts as a Breton. His heiress Anne of Brittany (1477-1514) probably also counts as a Breton. She married by proxy the King of the Romans Maximilian I But King Charles VIII of France forced her to renounce the marriage and marry him instead in 1491. King Charles VIII died with no surviving children by Anne and his cousin, the new king Louis XII, married Anne to gain control of Brittany. Their oldest surviving daughter was Claude of France (1499-1524) who married the next king Francis I. The heir of Francis I and Claude was King Henry II of France, whose sons died without legitimate children. The eventual heir of King Henry II through his oldest daughter Elizabeth (1545-1568), wife of Philip II of Spain, was Isabella Clara Eugenia (1566-1633) who was childless. Isabella's younger sister Catherine Michelle (1567-1597) married Duke Charles Emmanuel of Savoy (1562-1630).

And persons familiar with royal genealogy know who the present day heir of that marriage is: Duke Franz of Bavaria, claimant of the Bavarian throne and Jacobite heir of the Stuart Dynasty.

Furthermore, Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria (1660-1690), wife of Louis the Grand Dauphin of France (1661-1711), was descended on her mother's side from Catherine Michelle (1567-1597) and Duke Charles Emmanuel of Savoy (1562-1630). So that makes all the Kings of France after Louis XIV except possibly for Louis Philippe I descended from Duke Francis II of Brittany and his ancestors who were Dukes of Brittany. They include Henry II (1547-1559), Francis II (1559-1560), Charles IX (1560-1574), Henry III (1574-1589), Louis XV (1715-1774), Louis XVI (1774-1792), Louis XVII (titular), Louis XVIII (1814-1824), and Charles X (1824-1830).

Furthermore, King Francis I's father's mother's mother's father was Duke John IV of Brittany who probably counts as a Breton.

The ancestral origins of the Stuart family are obscure—their probable ancestry is traced back to Alan FitzFlaad, a Breton who came over to Great Britain not long after the Norman conquest.[3] Alan had been the hereditary steward of the Bishop of Dol in the Duchy of Brittany;[4] Alan had a good relationship with Henry I of England who awarded him with lands in Shropshire.[4] The FitzAlan family quickly established themselves as a prominent Anglo-Norman noble house, with some of its members serving as High Sheriff of Shropshire.[4][5] It was the great-grandson of Alan named Walter FitzAlan who became the first hereditary High Steward of Scotland, while his brother William's family went on to become Earls of Arundel.
House of Stuart - Wikipedia

So the Stewart or Stuart family of Scotland is probably of Breton origin. The first Stuart to become king of Scotland was Robert II (reigned 1371-1390). Among the many Stuart daughters who married into European nobility was Elizabeth of England and Scotland (1596-1662) who married Frederick V, Elector of the Palatinate and has many descendants. For example, their granddaughter Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate married Duke Philippe I of Orleans and thus became the ancestreess of Louis Philippe I, King of the French, who thus did have remote Breton ancestry.

Thus a number of French kings did have remote Breton ancestry, and no doubt more research would turn up more examples.

Reactions: Escritor
Sep 2016
Georgia
Charles VIII and Louis XII both had a Breton mother.
Mother ? They never had a Breton mother. They both had Breton wife. Anne of Britanny married Charles VIII and Louis XII.

Henry II was the grandson of Anna and son of her daughter Claude.

Reactions: Futurist

Haesten

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
William the Conqueror was the King of France ?
Alice married into the Burgundy dynasty, Eleanor into the Flanders dynasty. I would be surprised if one of their descendants didn't turn up in the French royal line somewhere.

Haesten

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Alice married into the Burgundy dynasty, Eleanor into the Flanders dynasty. I would be surprised if one of their descendants didn't turn up in the French royal line somewhere.
Louis VII of France was descended from Alice.