Was World War I worth it?

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
No. It was the worst catastrophe for Europe since the 14th century. It brought Boshevism, Nazism and WWII—-as well as all the problems in the Mideast—in its train.
Why do all these evaporate without WWI?

The Ottoman Empire was on its last legs for a long time why will its eventual collapse be peaceful?

Greeks and Turks going to be friends without WWI?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
But shows there were the elements for revolution, that may or may not to be fair have come about with out WWI.
Yes, it may have come about without the war. But I think it's more than a coincidence that the revolution occurs when it does, how it does; after three years or war and all that entails: millions of deaths, destruction, economic losses and upheaval.

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
IMHO, it was "good" that certain wars occurred. For instance, both the Texas War of Independence and the Mexican-American War allowed the U.S. to acquire large amounts of living space--living space that it subsequently made excellent use of--that it wouldn't have acquired otherwise
I must confess that when I see the terminology “living space” used in the context of a conquest, I have a cold chill. Anyway, the space to live is there, geographically speaking, either belonging to the USA or to any other country.

As for wars, WWI included, in principle they never worth the price that we pay.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Not even home rule if Germany will become more liberal?

Also, even if so, if Russian Poland would have broken away, the German Poles who really wanted to escape German rule could have simply moved there.
Germany without the First World War would have likely stayed "Prussian" in spirit and nature, i.e., militaristic and imperial. I don't see any liberal movement taking hold. Maybe the Great Depression would have changed things. As for German Poles moving to the region that had been under Russian control, Germany treated the Poles in their territory better. Moreover, as any poor person knows, picking up and moving to an distant area just isn't realistic, especially one tied to the land and culture of ts ancestors. Few poor peasants would have had this option. Migration to the new world, the U.S. Canada, Brazil was more appealing.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Yeah, that's called having an emotional response to mere words, it's not helpful.
We communicate with “mere words”, and words are important in human and social sciences, their use goes behind the common sense and the common daily use. In this case they have a historical significance that is difficult to erase since it happened quite recently. As for the “cold chill”, pardon me the poetic licence that I wrongly used, my bad on using “mere words” to express a quite rational thought.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
We communicate with “mere words”, and words are important in human and social sciences, their use goes behind the common sense and the common daily use. In this case they have a historical significance that is difficult to erase since it happened quite recently. As for the “cold chill”, pardon me the poetic licence that I wrongly used, my bad on using “mere words” to express a quite rational thought.
"OH, No! He mentioned living space and conquest in the same sentence. Now, let me share with everyone the Hitler/lebensraum connection that comes to mind."

poetic license: the freedom to depart from the facts of a matter or from the conventional rules of language when speaking or writing in order to create an effect.

Like I said: not helpful