WASPs No Longer in Power: Does it matter?

Jun 2012
Florida
This is a question that is being asked by the Christian Science Moniter. The article states that the US Supreme Court is comprised of six Catholics and three Jews. The Majority Leader of the Senate is a Mormon and the Speaker of the House is Catholic. The article also points out that for the first time in history the Republicans have a non-protestant on the top of its ticket and the Vice-Presidential Republican nominee is a Catholic. The only protestant in the presidential race is President Obama himself. His running mate Joseph Biden is also a Catholic.

WASP's No longer in Power: Does it matter? I would also add what does it means for the US and US policy, genrrally speaking, if anything.

US government and politics no longer run by WASPs. Does it matter? - CSMonitor.com

This thread is not meant to be about current politics, if it is, please disregard and delete.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Florida
For the Chinese perspective here is a link to an interesting blog:

Watching America **:** » The Decline of Anglo-Saxon Domination

What I found interesting in this commentary by Yu Shi Yu is that he sees the rise of the Tea Party in the US as WASP America's last grasp for power, he writes:

'Of course, no ethnic group would willingly relinquish its dominating position. Even the conservative Wall Street Journal has admitted that the present tea party in the U.S. represented, to a large degree, the reaction of middle- and lower-class WASPs toward the loss of their status in society. This may be the WASP domination’s last gasp for air in the short term."

It's an interesting perspective.

Rongo

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Ohio
For the Chinese perspective here is a link to an interesting blog:

Watching America **:** » The Decline of Anglo-Saxon Domination

What I found interesting in this commentary by Yu Shi Yu is that he sees the rise of the Tea Party in the US as WASP America's last grasp for power, he writes:

'Of course, no ethnic group would willingly relinquish its dominating position. Even the conservative Wall Street Journal has admitted that the present tea party in the U.S. represented, to a large degree, the reaction of middle- and lower-class WASPs toward the loss of their status in society. This may be the WASP domination’s last gasp for air in the short term."

It's an interesting perspective.
I'm having a problem opening the referenced article, but I have to disagree with this. First of all, WASPs are not an "ethnic group". At best they're a coalition of white people from a wide range of non-Catholic Christian religions with western/northern European backgrounds. And although I imagine most Tea Partiers would fit this very wide-ranging demographic, I see them as much more about a political ideology than domination of any ethnic group. Just look at some of the recent darlings of the Tea Party:

Newt Gingrich - Catholic
Marco Rubio - Cuban American
Herman Cain - African American

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
I try my best to judge people one at a time. That coupled with the fact that diversity has always been part of what makes America America, means that the prominence of 'WASPS' or lack thereof doesn't matter either way to me:)

Jun 2012
Florida
I'm having a problem opening the referenced article, but I have to disagree with this. First of all, WASPs are not an "ethnic group". At best they're a coalition of white people from a wide range of non-Catholic Christian religions with western/northern European backgrounds. And although I imagine most Tea Partiers would fit this very wide-ranging demographic, I see them as much more about a political ideology than domination of any ethnic group. Just look at some of the recent darlings of the Tea Party:

Newt Gingrich - Catholic
Marco Rubio - Cuban American
Herman Cain - African American
I agree with you and that's why I thought it a unique perspective. He (or she) does cite the Wall Street Journal for the quote. I never thought of WASP as a distinct ethnic group, especially since WASP could encompass various nationalities.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
I try my best to judge people one at a time. That coupled with the fact that diversity has always been part of what makes America America, means that the prominence of 'WASPS' or lack thereof doesn't matter either way to me:)
It would also seem to demonstrate that the concept of America (in the abstract political sense anyway) works the way it is supposed to.

WASPs have been associated with the Northeast. The population of the US has moved on more away from the Northeast, and to the South and Southwest, and the West Coast.

The minority "tribe" does not rule by shooting the other tribes. In much of the world, that defines politics.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I've never considered myself a WASP so I'm totally indifferent to the situation. :)