Weirdest Aviation Battles

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
EDIT: Removed an accidental double post of the above video. If a moderator happens to come strolling through, feel free to delete this one. Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
Felixstowe F2A flying boats versus Hansa-Brandenburg seaplanes over the southern North Sea in 1918:

http://www.seawings.co.uk/images/Fe...cember 1955 and other references/Page - 9.pdf

the Robert Leckie mentioned in the article later shot down Zeppelin L70 while flying as a gunner in a DH4.

WW2: a Sunderland flying boat takes on eight JU-88s:

2nd June 1943: ?Battle in the Bay? Sunderland v Ju 88s

and a B-24 Liberator fights it out with a pair of FW200 Condors:

https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/wars-oddest-dogfight-180954663/

Oct 2016
Merryland
I read somewhere
in WWI a damaged plane landed on top of a zeppelin. he managed to work around the damage and take off and fly to safety.

there's a sort of urban legend that late in the Battle of Midway the crew of one of the US carriers waved off a Japanese plane trying to land. wonder if they were trying to surrender or just couldn't find their own ship (sunk by then probly)

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
there's a sort of urban legend that late in the Battle of Midway the crew of one of the US carriers waved off a Japanese plane trying to land. wonder if they were trying to surrender or just couldn't find their own ship (sunk by then probly)
That was Coral Sea.

(I'm calling BS on almost all these others).

Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
I defer to your nolluj. I just remember reading it somewhere.

would be an interesting movie (at least a plot twist); heroic allies sneak on a Japanese ship, steal a plane, land on a US carrier.
I'm pretty sure the Coral Sea version is also a later fabrication. There *was* one group of returning Japanese planes which overflew TF 17 after jettisoning their ordinance in the evening of May 7. Some sources claim one or two of them attempted to land on the Yorktown - other sources say they were ambushed by radar-alerted CAP.

Jun 2011
The Old Dominion
Yes, there was an attempt to land until the Japanese apparently realized they were not seeing their deck guide landing lights (the Japanese used lights, not an LSO). Aboard Yorktown, they already knew these were Japanese because they did not answer the recognition challenge and the order was passed "prepare to repel boarders!"

There was a CAP above and there was a lot of confusion in the gathering darkness. In the end, three USN fighter pilots were lost, one from VF-2 and two from VF-42. One of the VF-42 pilots was presumed to be lost from vertigo as no one ever heard or saw him (LTJG Leslie L B Knox). The other two got separated from their wingmen and were lost in the darkness despite attempts to contact them (ENS John D Baker of VF-42 and ENS Paul G Baker of VF-2).

One of the pilots in the air at the time related to me that the appearance of the Japanese in the landing circuit made everyone scatter due to shipboard AA fire. He was on final when this happened, so up went his wheels and hook and out of the way he went. After everything had settled down and the ship resumed landing, when he came in he ended up in the barrier, he's put his wheels back down but not his hook and the LSO spotters didn't notice it in the dark. No great damage, he used the same plane the next day. albeit with a new propeller.

Similar History Discussions