• Salamanca

• Pyrenees

• Vitoria

• Waterloo

• Another Battle

Results are only viewable after voting.
Feb 2019
Serbia
I remember a thread asking which of the battles Napoleon fought in could be considered his greatest victory. As a sort of contrast I ask: Which of Wellington's battles do you consider his greatest victories?

''Greatest'' does not have to mean the most decisive, it can also be a great display of operational or tactical skill or an action that was impactful in some other way.

Which battle and campaign do you consider his greatest victory and why.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
It is possible that other battles show Wellington's abilities better, but Waterloo was by far the most significant and I have to give my vote to Waterloo. Napoleon was decisively defeated once and for all and while he never really stood a chance against the 7th Coallition, Wellington had the honor of delivering the fatal blow.

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
It is possible that other battles show Wellington's abilities better, but Waterloo was by far the most significant and I have to give my vote to Waterloo. Napoleon was decisively defeated once and for all and while he never really stood a chance against the 7th Coallition, Wellington had the honor of delivering the fatal blow.
^ What he said!

JPK

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
Because of its significance and the finality of the results, Waterloo is a no brainer.

Reactions: Futurist

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
My bias is at work, so I am in doubt between Vimeiro and Buçaco.

The first was decisive for the end of the First French Invasion, the second battle to end the third invasion.

The Buçaco is the battle that I studied more, so I would say Buçaco.

Feb 2019
Serbia
I voted for Salamanca but I'm split between it, Vitoria and the Pyrenees. I see Waterloo as more of a symbolic victory. Napoleon simply had no chance of beating the coalition in 1815 and he would be defeated eventually, Waterloo was that defeat but I do not see it as so huge or situation changing as Salamanca or Vitoria. I also do not find it particularly brilliant on the tactical level. Salamanca, Vitoria and Assaye were daring, aggressive actions where Wellington demonstrated that he was a skilled offensive general while others like Bussaco, the Pyrenees and some others displayed Wellington as a fine defencive commander. For me Waterloo is mixed in terms of actual strategic consequence, I believe that the campaign, let alone the war, was over when Napoleon failed to pursue the Prussians after Ligny and sent Grouchy in the wrong direction down a bad path. While tactically, while not unimpressive, it doesn't show Wellington to the best of his ability.

Reactions: Futurist