Welsh History - Help

Jun 2019
Cardiff
Hi
I am working with an A-Level student wanting to study an area of Welsh History for coursework, preferably pre-Tudor. We are struggling to identify areas of debate so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
Don't know if it's online anywhere but if you can find it 'The Dragon has Two Tongues' was a TV documentary series presenting contrary views on Welsh history from Wynford Vaughn Thomas and Gwyn Alf Williams. And Gwyn Alf's 'When Was Wales?' (series and book) has plenty of talking points.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Hi
I am working with an A-Level student wanting to study an area of Welsh History for coursework, preferably pre-Tudor. We are struggling to identify areas of debate so any suggestions would be appreciated.
I thought of studying our pre English conquest history but it just seemed to consist of a lot of Owains, Gruffydds and Llywelyns murdering each other. How about the Cistercian monasteries?

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
History of Cardiff? and or Llandaff?

Why is Wales well Wales not England? are Cornwall, Cumbria 'Welsh'? and why is some of the oldest writings in Welsh about warriors fighting out of Edinburgh?

Or go further back who was Boudica and was she 'Welsh'?

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
History of Cardiff? and or Llandaff?

Why is Wales well Wales not England? are Cornwall, Cumbria 'Welsh'? and why is some of the oldest writings in Welsh about warriors fighting out of Edinburgh?

Or go further back who was Boudica and was she 'Welsh'?
No, Boudicca was Icceni. No Cornwall isn't Welsh. I think you are confusing anything Celtic as Welsh. BTW Welsh is a Saxon word that means foreigner. As for why it's a separate country from England, it's because the Saxons never conquered it, though the Normans did.

Similar History Discussions