Welsh History

Jan 2010
We are thinking of holding a Welsh taster event at our community centre, for parents and children. We are in a city centre location in south wales, where there is a very diverse culture mix, so as well as Welsh people, and those from other parts of the UK, we have many eastern Europeans, Asians, Africans etc.

What activities, food, decoration, music, education, information etc would be good to have on the day? What suggestions do others have to make this a successful event?

What would make YOU go and find out more about Wales and what it means to be Welsh?

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
Re: Welsh Taster Day

I'm afraid I don't really have any ideas, but this sounds like an interesting event. I have no personal connection with Wales but I have found its language and history fascinating for some time.

Nick

Historum Emeritas
Jul 2006
UK

Here's an idea: Wales's history of resisting invasions. The isle of Anglsey was the stronghold of the Druids until the arrival of Christianity. If Merlin existed he would have come from here. It is also likely King Arthur's father Uther Pendragon was a Welsh warlord, although Arthur himself was born in Cornwall.
The Saxon king Offa built a vast earth rampart to separate England and Wales and prevent Welsh raids. The peace between the Saxons and Welsh continued until the last Saxon king was killed at Hastings in 1066.
In the Middle Ages the Welsh fought a guerilla war against the English. They were armed with the longbow which had a greater rate of fire, and were barefoot to ensure better grip on the slippery ground. The longbow was so effective the English started using it. To stop the resistance Edward built castles all over Wales where troops could be based to crush any future rebellions. If he had lived a few years longer the same thing could have happened to Scotland.
The last Welsh uprising happened during the reign of Henry IV. Owain Glyndwr's land was seized by his neighbor John Grey, a supporter or Henry. After losing a lawsuit Glyndwr drove Grey off his land, sparking a rebellion exacebated by popular anger at conscription to serve on the Scottish border. Many towns were burned but the revolt ended in 1413 when Henry died and his son Henry V offered pardons to the rebel leaders.
One of the Welshmen who joined Henry's court was Owen Tudor. He was later captured and beheaded by the Yorkists. His grandson was Henry VII who became king of England after defeating Richard III in 1485, ending the Wars of the Roses

Oct 2009
Behind a screen

The isle of Anglsey was the stronghold of the Druids until the arrival of Christianity. If Merlin existed he would have come from here. It is also likely King Arthur's father Uther Pendragon was a Welsh warlord, although Arthur himself was born in Cornwall.
The isle of Anglsey is definitely a place I would like to visit sometime. Quite a lot happened there and it's interesting in that it was quite remote from the rest of Europe, allowing for some distinctive cultural developments.

Jan 2010
North Wales

The isle of Anglsey is definitely a place I would like to visit sometime. Quite a lot happened there and it's interesting in that it was quite remote from the rest of Europe, allowing for some distinctive cultural developments.
Its not just Anglesey (Ynys Mon), its the whole of Wales that is full of mystery.

Dec 2009
Bedfordshire
A welsh version of braveheart could work, plenty of contenders for that role.

The Silures were the local tribe when the Romans invaded and put up the soutest resistance to Roman rule.

Im sure you must have visited Caerleon which is a superb historical display. Id be emphasising the Roman/Welsh struggle for history value, followed on by the various encroachments of the English later on.

Im from Newport originally and occasionally return home to visit the folks. Id be interested to hear the date when you get details finalised.

May 2007
Australia
I have read about the Welsh Princes, Llwelleyn the Great, and his wife Joan, who was King John's daughter. Then the last Welsh Prince of Wales, another Llwelleyn. This period of Welsh history is really interesting. Somethign telling the history of this period might be good.

Jan 2010
Ffosyffin, Aberaeron, Ceredigion, Wales
What activities, food, decoration, music, education, information etc would be good to have on the day? What suggestions do others have to make this a successful event? What would make YOU go and find out more about Wales and what it means to be Welsh?
Food: Welshcakes, Lavabread
Music: Thw Welsh National Anthemn, Cwm Rhondda, Aberystwyth

And perhaps you could invite the recently defected AM from Plaid to the Conservatives who was elected as Plaid's first ethnic minority AM in 2007