Welsh History

May 2007
Australia
Why was it so important to Edward 1 to totally take over Wales? Why could he not have just "worked" with them as his father Henry did?
I think it is a bit sad that the Prince of Wales now is not even Welsh.
What do people think?

Dec 2007
London, England.
Why not finish them as a nation?, the Welsh had always caused English Kings trouble through the years so he took the final step of crushing them after Llywelyn repeatedly refused to pay homage to King Edward, and so he launched the first campaign against Llywelyn.

Llywelyn was lucky though, as he was allowed to keep the title of "Prince of Wales". After that the title passed to the English monarchy as a sign of power, overlordship etc, its just the way of things.

Jul 2007
Australia
Why was Ed 1 so keen on crushing the Scots??

Same reasoning with the Welsh - control - of land, of resources, of your enemy - the more land you have "attached" to your name, the more important you "appear" to be in the eyes of whoever, your contemporaries / peers.

What's that old adage - keeping up with the Joneses - applies as much today as it does back in ye olden times.

May 2007
Australia
Why not finish them as a nation?, the Welsh had always caused English Kings trouble through the years so he took the final step of crushing them after Llywelyn repeatedly refused to pay homage to King Edward, and so he launched the first campaign against Llywelyn.

Llywelyn was lucky though, as he was allowed to keep the title of "Prince of Wales". After that the title passed to the English monarchy as a sign of power, overlordship etc, its just the way of things.
After just reading 3 books on this subject I am a bit biased toward Llwelyn.
He did eventually pay homage to Edward 1 after he was defeated in battle. However Edward was never going to let the Welsh live in peace in their own way and laws. So I suppose eventually Edward would crush Llwelyn, something that Henry 111 could not do to Llwelyn's grandfather - Llwelyn the Great.
Llwelyn the last had a daughter who became Princess of Wales, and upon the death of her father, lost her title and was duly put in an English nunnery for the rest of her days - 54 years! The only reason Edward did not have her killed was because she was related to him!

I just thought it an interesting part of history and it has made me look at the Welsh culture a bit differently now.

May 2007
Australia
Why was Ed 1 so keen on crushing the Scots??

Same reasoning with the Welsh - control - of land, of resources, of your enemy - the more land you have "attached" to your name, the more important you "appear" to be in the eyes of whoever, your contemporaries / peers.

What's that old adage - keeping up with the Joneses - applies as much today as it does back in ye olden times.
Yes you are right! Is that why houses these days are getting bigger and bigger :rolleyes:

May 2007
Australia
as for me there is no sense in making theards like this ;p
Wales have got nearly the same history like England, what is more this is small country with small number of population
Every one is entitled to their opinion. So I am not going to agree or disagree with your comment about Wales.
The good thing about this forum is you only have to reply to those threads you are interested in.
If it is not an interesting thread as you say - don't reply.

Similar History Discussions