Were any Communist parties outside of Europe supporters of ethnic federalization?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In the Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia (and, to some extent, in Yugoslavia as well), Communists federalized their countries along ethnic lines. In turn, this helped facilitate the break-up of these countries once Communist rule there collapsed--with the Soviet Union becoming fifteen separate, independent countries, with Czechoslovakia becoming two separate, independent countries, and with Yugoslavia becoming seven separate, independent countries.

However, what I am curious about is this--were there any other countries (including countries where Communists never actually managed to come to power) where Communists also advocated ethnic federalization?

Basically, I am curious as to whether there was the potential for any other countries to eventually break-up along ethnic lines if/after Communists took over these countries.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?

Nov 2015
Mountains of madness
In yugoslavia communists before war even were not short supporting of desintegration of country thoguh this was in years they were repressed.it woudl be replaced with balkan federation.ehtnic lines and balance were very important issue always though and thats what lead to demise of country at end.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Congress_of_the_Communist_Party_of_Yugoslavia

article is one sided and poor in info but it give you basics

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Very interesting; thanks! I wonder why the Yugoslav Communists changed their mind about breaking up the country after they actually gained power in Yugoslavia. Could it be because power corrupts?

I wonder if @Maki, @Kotromanic, @Highlander, @Offspring, and/or @Visigoth Panzer have anything to say about this as well as about my OP here in general.

Aug 2017
Cape Town
The most blatant example would be the triangle of Poland/Ukraine/Byelorus. After WW2, Poland was basically shifted a few hundred kilometres westwards and millions of people were forcibly resettled ( not counting the Germans fleeing the Red Army ). Poles to the new Poland, Ukrainians to within the new borders of the Ukraine and Byelorussians to new Byelarus. For all their talk about the international worker class bla bla the Sowjets were concerned a lot with ethnicity.

I guees you could consider that sort of a confederation.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
@Futurist did you just elevate the status of Kosovo to "independent"? :oops:

I'll re-read this thread in a few hours and try to make a more meaningful comment. Since I've joined the forum I've learned so much about former Yugoslavia and the outline of the history of all Southern Europe. Still feel like aside from a few narrow time periods that I'm the learner rather than the resource.