Were any Communist parties outside of Europe supporters of ethnic federalization?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Well to be honest the bosnian serbs embraced the same maxim.
The Bosnian Serbs weren't the ones that refused a peace plan after signing it first. The Bosnian Serbs also offered the Muslims and Croats to let them secede from Yugoslavia as long as they let the Serbs remain in. At the very least, the Bosnian Serbs wanted substantial autonomy just like Kosovo had within Serbia (though Milošević reduced it).

Since this topic is about Communists, the Communist Party should have simply created Serb autonomous units in Bosnia and Croatia and a Croat unit in Bosnia. Maybe a Muslim unit in the part of Serbia where they are the majority. Might have prevented some of the bloodshed.

Reactions: Futurist and Ken12
Aug 2019
North
Since this topic is about Communists, the Communist Party should have simply created Serb autonomous units in Bosnia and Croatia and a Croat unit in Bosnia. Maybe a Muslim unit in the part of Serbia where they are the majority. Might have prevented some of the bloodshed.
You're forgetting the yugoslav cornerstone maxim "brotherhood and unity".

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
You're forgetting the yugoslav cornerstone maxim "brotherhood and unity".
Yes, the Communist were far too idealistic for their own good. Thing is, after the war, the new Communist authorities considered the national question solved. It was of course not and it took the Communists a while to understand this. By the time they finally realized it, the national tensions were already increasing (Ranković, Croatian Spring, 1968 and 1981 Albanian revolts).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Bosnian Serbs weren't the ones that refused a peace plan after signing it first. The Bosnian Serbs also offered the Muslims and Croats to let them secede from Yugoslavia as long as they let the Serbs remain in. At the very least, the Bosnian Serbs wanted substantial autonomy just like Kosovo had within Serbia (though Milošević reduced it).

Why not simply allow most of the Serb parts of Bosnia and Croatia to be outright annexed to Serbia? Also, annexing the Croat parts of Bosnia to Croatia. As for a Muslim unit within Serbia, they already had Kosovo. It should have included the Presevo Valley, though.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Why not simply allow most of the Serb parts of Bosnia and Croatia to be outright annexed to Serbia? Also, annexing the Croat parts of Bosnia to Croatia. As for a Muslim unit within Serbia, they already had Kosovo. It should have included the Presevo Valley, though.
When I said Muslim, I was talking about Muslims the nationality (Bosniaks today), not Muslims the religious group.

The problem with Kosovo is that the Yugo Communists wanted to give it to Albania so they made moves to reduce the Serb percentage there. For example, they prohibited the Serb colonists from returning. They also added some Serb-majority parts to Kosovo (Leposavić I think). That might seem like a pro-Serb move but it was not. Leposavić barely increased the Serb percentage and only made that municipality liable to being claimed as a part of any independent/Albanian Kosovo (which is what happened).

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
When I said Muslim, I was talking about Muslims the nationality (Bosniaks today), not Muslims the religious group.
Oh, you mean the Sandjak! :

If so, why not annex it to Bosnia? Of course, that could mean putting the Serbs in the southeastern corner of Bosnia in Montenegro in order to avoid putting them under Bosniak rule:

The problem with Kosovo is that the Yugo Communists wanted to give it to Albania so they made moves to reduce the Serb percentage there. For example, they prohibited the Serb colonists from returning. They also added some Serb-majority parts to Kosovo (Leposavić I think). That might seem like a pro-Serb move but it was not. Leposavić barely increased the Serb percentage and only made that municipality liable to being claimed as a part of any independent/Albanian Kosovo (which is what happened).
Why didn't they ultimately give Kosovo to Albania? Due to Yugoslavia and Albania ultimately having a falling out? Was the initial logic to give it to Albania so that the Albanians would subsequently join Yugoslavia? As for Leposevac, I still think that if Serbia is ultimately going to recognize Kosovar independence, it should then be prepared to discuss the idea of trading Leposevac for the Presevo Valley:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Oh, you mean the Sandjak! :
Yes, I mean the Sandžak.

If so, why not annex it to Bosnia? Of course, that could mean putting the Serbs in the southeastern corner of Bosnia in Montenegro in order to avoid putting them under Bosniak rule:
Annexing it to Bosnia would mean you need to restructure all the other borders because if Bosnia can have Sandžak by the virtue of the population there being Bosniak, then Serbia should have Serb parts of other republics. The Communists wanted to eliminate all "Greater" nationalisms. That's why they pursued the creation of a separate, Montenegrin nationality and that's why they drew the republic borders in a way that no side achieved its "Greater" goals.

Why didn't they ultimately give Kosovo to Albania? Due to Yugoslavia and Albania ultimately having a falling out?
Indeed.

Was the initial logic to give it to Albania so that the Albanians would subsequently join Yugoslavia?
Yes.

As for Leposevac, I still think that if Serbia is ultimately going to recognize Kosovar independence, it should then be prepared to discuss the idea of trading Leposevac for the Presevo Valley:
Serbian politicians proposed a plan for the partition of Kosovo. It is somewhat implied that it would be Preševo Valley for North Kosovo. I personally consider that treason and a move against Serb interests and towards a new war. But I think this is not really a topic for a history forum. We are entering a realm of politics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist