Were Hengest and Horsa Real?

Nov 2008
England
Many researchers do not think that Odin is the same as Woden. Odin is a god of war, the equivalent of Mars in the roman pantheon.
Sorry about the delay in responding to your post. Personal matters required my attention. You have raised a number of interesting points, and not all of them I feel competent to answer at the moment. It is only recently that I have become really interested in the subjects of Germanic heathenry (paganism) and mythology, and I`m finding it all fascinating. Concerning the Woden/Odin question. I certainly see them sharing similar characteristics, and I regard them perhaps as developing from some common archetype. What is your view on this? Of course, that question is open to all forum members too.

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
It is only recently that I have become really interested in the subjects of Germanic heathenry (paganism) and mythology, and I`m finding it all fascinating.
No one is competent because the material we have to work with is scant in the extreme and we try to interpret things through icelandic or roman eyes. Stephen Pollington started as an OE tutor but when he left his job he branched out into dark age art, runes and religion. He only has access to other authors views, no original material, and so he tries to interpret things in new way. Nothing is certain which is why he uses words like 'probably' or 'may', he is not claiming anything definitive.

Another author I know from the same period and via the Germanic L list is Gunivortus Guus who writes under the name GardenStone. His work is on religion and folklore. One book he has written which directly relates to this discussion is The Mercury-Woden Complex. This is a partial review which outlines what the book is all about:

"This book starts at an accepted norm in the study of Germanic history and prehistory, namely that when Tacitus recorded that the German tribes of the Roman frontier zone held Mercury, Hercules, and Mars in highest religious esteem, the underlying Germanic god the Mercury analogy referred to was Odin/Woden. The author asks not just what evidence there is to support this interpolation but if, in fact, there is any evidence to support the notion that Odin/Woden was a god known to and held in high esteem by those specific Germanic tribes that existed along the Roman frontier in what is today the Netherlands and the Rhine Valley and southern Germany. Underneath that basic question is a bigger issue the author calls into question, the continued use of the "Interpretatio Germanica" wherein modern scholars and researchers will take any pagan Germanic god or goddess and try to fit them, with varying degrees of success, into what is essentially the very late Norse pantheon preserved in Icelandic and other late sources. As the author points out, it is questionable to assert that Germanic religion was essentially static (or static underneath cosmetic name changes) over a span of more than a thousand years and across a sweep of territory that encompassed large parts of Europe at various points."

There is a list of his books here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/l/B006VT9X...dleDbs=true&rfkd=1&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

There is no right or wrong in this, just differing views, some which may contain more truth than others, not that we'd actually know which.

Similar History Discussions