Were the ancient Macedonians bararians?

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Where they? Why not?
You should check the etymology of the word barbarian. it was originaly used to describe a person that did not speak Greek language the bar bar thing similar to English blah blah/ gibberish ergo a foreigner. Romans adopted it and its meaning changed to foreigner, in old french it meant a pagan, a berber, then middle English until eventually it assumed its current meaning of uncivilised person. The koine made its way into Macedonia a little before Philip II of Macedon's time, so no they were not barbaroi during the reign of Alexander. About the uncivilised part I dont know perhaps they were a bit rural and backwards according to Athenians /Demosthenes/.

Aug 2019
North
You should check the etymology of the word barbarian. it was originaly used to describe a person that did not speak Greek language the bar bar thing similar to English blah blah/ gibberish ergo a foreigner. Romans adopted it and its meaning changed to foreigner, in old french it meant a pagan, a berber, then middle English until eventually it assumed its current meaning of uncivilised person. The koine made its way into Macedonia a little before Philip II of Macedon's time, so no they were not barbaroi during the reign of Alexander. About the uncivilised part I dont know perhaps they were a bit rural and backwards according to Athenians /Demosthenes/.
So it's fair to say that only the royals weren't barbarians?
There were rural and backward people in Greece too, were they barbarians as well?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Nobody can answer that question until you specify which definition of "barbarian" you want to use, and if you actually take the time to think about this, you will probably be able to answer the question yourself.

Jan 2016
Greece
The Macedonias were sons of God.Read 10 books about Alexander the Great first ,and then you will understand.Superior Ellite Kingdom.

Aug 2018
london
I'm going to use Blahblahrians from now on instead of Barbarians.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The Macedonias were sons of God.Read 10 books about Alexander the Great first ,and then you will understand.Superior Ellite Kingdom.
Which God? Zeus? G-d? Baal? Shiva? Thor?

A bit of humor a part, I can read 100 books about Alexander, but I will never consider suitable such an expression of adoration for an ancient people and its leader.

But I'm curious: who is the God you are making reference to? Remember that Alexander venerated pagan deities not the God of Abraham ...

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Barbarian is a dated term as is savage as it refers to human society. There are hunter/ gatherers, agriculturists, and urban centered societies. Pella was the capital city or at least the palace complex of Macedonia. All ancient civilizations have had agricultural activity

Jan 2016
Greece
Which God? Zeus? G-d? Baal? Shiva? Thor?

A bit of humor a part, I can read 100 books about Alexander, but I will never consider suitable such an expression of adoration for an ancient people and its leader.

But I'm curious: who is the God you are making reference to? Remember that Alexander venerated pagan deities not the God of Abraham ...
if you read 100 books and i am not make a joke about Alexander the Great .You will answer me.if you do not like the coment i suggest to deleteit.if you do not then i will tell that the question is humilliating about Macedonia and it is Kingdom.Thats all.