Were the ancient Macedonians bararians?

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I think Ken12 means Bavarians.

Yes, ancient Macedonians were Bavarians.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
if you read 100 books and i am not make a joke about Alexander the Great .You will answer me.if you do not like the coment i suggest to deleteit.if you do not then i will tell that the question is humilliating about Macedonia and it is Kingdom.Thats all.
Your first post wasn't exactly a contribution, from a historiographical perspective ...

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I think Ken12 means Bavarians.

Yes, ancient Macedonians were Bavarians.
I can edit the title of the thread, anyway I'd like to have a confirmation by the author, since the topic has developed, probably, on the base of a misunderstanding.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
if you want to delete my comment then ask the forum to do it .But if you want to change my point of view about this hummiliating question about a kingdom who rule the existant world sorry i want change my point of view.
Relax,please.

When I make a comment then reconsider if it was any good, I will delete the comment and write delete, indicating that I deleted the thought.

Take a walk, build a doghouse, catch a fish, fly a kite, whatever it is that will make you more cheerful. Wish you an excellent day!

Reactions: Tulius and macon

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Mythology: Macedonia was named after Macedon, the ancestor of the ancient Macedonians and the son of Zeus so i guess this the divine connection in question. Contemporary northern Macedonians even claim that this Macedon or Makedon, they dont like C letter much, impregnated some women of his time and thus created the Macedonian aka the white race. So omnipotent mythological figure.

Aug 2018
America
By ancient Greek standards, they were barbarian in comparison to other Greeks because they mingled with the Thracians and even the Scythians, not to mention they were partially conquered by the Persians until the Persians withdrew after their second failed invasion of mainland Greece.

By classicist standards, they were barbarian in comparison to other Greeks because they didn't produce anything on the level of Athenian or Greco-Italian philosophy sculpture, pottery, architecture and theatre, nor did they evince the same level of commitment to independence as well as military prowess during the Persian invasion like the Spartans, who are also considered in general inferior to the Athenians by classicists but superior to the Macedonians nevertheless. Classicists even have held Hellenistic art produced by the Macedonian empires left by Alexander to be inferior to Classical art (baring perhaps Greco-Buddhist sculpture), though Hellenistic philosophy and technology has recently been vindicated (to a ridiculous extent, reaching its pinnacle with the horribly awful film of Agora).

By more objective standards, Macedonians were "civilised", as were other supposed "barbarian" peoples like the neighbouring Celts, Thracians and Scythians, all of whom had agriculture, urban settlements, metallurgy and even architecture and sculpture.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
According to the Qing Chinese, anyone who was not Chinese was a barbarian (at best).

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
if you read 100 books and i am not make a joke about Alexander the Great .You will answer me.if you do not like the coment i suggest to deleteit.if you do not then i will tell that the question is humilliating about Macedonia and it is Kingdom.Thats all.
You are right. The thread tittle is “Were the ancient Macedonians bararians?”.

That is humiliating, at least Ken12 could had called them “barbarians”.

Anyway, according to Demosthenes they were indeed barbarians. At least the Macedonian elites didn’t like that description.

Sep 2019
Europe
According to Thunmann, citing ancient sources, they were Illyrians/Thracians

1774 | Johann Thunmann: On the History and Language of the Albanians and Vlach

The first people that history recognises in this region are the Illyrians, a large and mighty nation living on the Adriatic Sea, from the Po to the Ambracian Gulf, and northwards to the Danube. Strabo believes that this people spread westwards to Lake Constance, through Noricum and Vindelicia. He also asserts that the Pannonians stemmed from this people. Appian notes clearly that the Pannonians were Illyrians. The Istrians, Japodes, Dalmatae, Liburnians, Dardanians, Ardiaei, Autariates, in short, all the peoples down to the Ceraunian mountains are generally regarded as Illyrians. But they also inhabited wide reaches of Macedonia, Epirus and Thessaly.

Only a small portion of Macedonia was inhabited by the Greeks. The mass of the population was Illyrian and Thracian. The Dassaretae, the Lyncestae, the Bryges or Phrygians, the Pelagones, The Eordi, the Elimiotes, the Atintanes, the inhabitants of the region around Candavia, Pella, Edessa and Verva have all been expressly referred to as Illyrian. To a great extent, it was almost only the towns on the coast that had Greek inhabitants. The Macedonians had a language of their own that was also spoken in the regions along the Ionian Sea across from Corfu and, thus in Greek Illyria and Epirus.

There were also many non-Greek peoples in Epirus who, as noted above, spoke the Macedonian language, or the Illyrian language, which was probably the same thing. But the Greek colonies here and the dynasty of Aeacides introduced the Greek language such that the various peoples spoke two languages. The Amphilochans further to the south also belonged to this group, and for this reason are also referred to as barbarians by Thucydides. In Thessaly there were also other peoples of foreign origin, such as the Perrhaedans, referred to by Appian as Illyrians, the Athamanes, the Aethices, the Tymphaei and the Penestae, the Helots of the Thessalians, who had probably been the same people as the Illyrian Penestae. Scylax notes that only beyond Ambracia, the Peneus and the town or mountain of Homotion in Magnesia, had the Greeks begun to inhabit the region in a compact manner. In Strabo’s time, the barbarians owned large parts of Greece, and he reports that the Thracians inhabited Macedonia and parts of Thessaly at that time.