Were the Hyksos the Hebrews?

Oct 2009
Hawaii... for now *stares off dreamily*
There is reasonable archeological evidence that suggests the Biblical Hebrews were the Hyksos, who occupied Ancient Egypt before and during the reign of Ahmose around 1500 BCE. Does anybody have an opinion on this subject, or an argument pro or con to the above statement? According to the Bible, the Egyptians dominated the Hebrews and enslaved them till Moses came back. According to Ancient Egyptian texts, the Hyksos oppresses the people of Lower Egypt (the delta region), till Ahmose led the army that kicked them out. We could just be hearing glorified exagerations on both sides. In the Hyksos capital of Aswan, there have been several seals found with Jacob's name incribed on them (Joseph's father.) Could this be coincidence? A penny for your thoughts (and opinions and any info you might have on the subject.)

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
This is the first time I have heard of this Hypothesis. Where did you hear/ read of this, I would be interested greatly?

Edgewaters

Ad Honorem
Jul 2007
Canada
It's possible that the Hebrews just heard about the Hyksos in Egypt.

Some of their other stories do seem to have been incorporated from the mythos of other Semitic peoples. Eden, the Flood, etc.

vera

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Israel
First time I hear of it. Which really doesn't mean much for the theory this way or the other. :)

Oct 2009
Hawaii... for now *stares off dreamily*
Edgewater, that's a very interesting theory. Could you give some more examples and details?

Jun 2009
Slovakia
Ahmose: You ARE aware that virtually all verifiable parts of story about Egyptian exodus of "Hebrews" turned out to be lore of much later date, historically false, right? Cities that Hebrews supposedly conquered didn't exist until several centuries later, were never conquered in same generation, absolutely no archaeological remains of settlement at places where they simply had to be found if the story has got at least something right, the land which they supposedly "fleed from Egypt" to was under Egyptian rule at that time as well, etc. etc.

Of course there are people who try to fit biblical history into real history, and of course Egyptians had contacts with neighbor Semites, but taking biblical exodus claims literally is completely unsupportable in so many ways it pains to see people regarding it historical.

As for the "theory" that Eden story, Flood story, (also "Fall of Satan" story) etc. are taken from older myths, I suggest you to check out site "bibleorigins.net". It is rather messy and hard to read, and always tries to reach conclusion even when data is insufficient for one, but it still gives enormous number of details, probably more than you want to know.

Last edited:

Edgewaters

Ad Honorem
Jul 2007
Canada
Ahmose: You ARE aware that virtually all verifiable parts of story about Egyptian exodus of "Hebrews" turned out to be lore of much later date, historically false, right? Cities that Hebrews supposedly conquered didn't exist until several centuries later, were never conquered in same generation, absolutely no archaeological remains of settlement at places where they simply had to be found if the story has got at least something right, the land which they supposedly "fleed from Egypt" to was under Egyptian rule at that time as well, etc. etc.
Depends on how you look at things.

There are some theories out now that the Hebrews were a sort of rebellion among some of the Canaanite tribes, overturning their old rulers and religion and replacing them with a new set.

If that's the case, then these cities that we know lay in ruins when the Hebrews were around may really have been conquered by them - before they became Hebrews.

Jun 2009
Slovakia
Edgewaters: How does that depend on how I look at things? Even if your theory was true, all that I wrote still stands, and Exodus still is just a myth.

Btw, according to the theory you cite, during which century did the rebellion happen?