Were the Hyksos the Hebrews?

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Hyksos were Semitic, and Semites are located mostly in the Levant, Iraq, and Arabia.
How do you know Hyksos were semites ?

The kings of the XV dyn left no inscription in a semitic language, all texts are in Egyptian.

In the tomb of Ahmose, son of Abana, out of 19 prisonners only 3 do not have an egyptian name (Pritchard, The Ancient Near East Texts Chapter VI, The expulsion of the Hyksos page 174 note 4).

From the time of Narmer, South Palestine was colonised by Egyptians (Toby WILKINSON, Early Dynastic Egypt, pages 152-155).

Satuf

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Nebraska
How do you know Hyksos were semites ?

The kings of the XV dyn left no inscription in a semitic language, all texts are in Egyptian.

In the tomb of Ahmose, son of Abana, out of 19 prisonners only 3 do not have an egyptian name (Pritchard, The Ancient Near East Texts Chapter VI, The expulsion of the Hyksos page 174 note 4).

From the time of Narmer, South Palestine was colonised by Egyptians (Toby WILKINSON, Early Dynastic Egypt, pages 152-155).
How do I know? I honestly did not live at that time. But there are history books that say so. I studied in Egypt for a long time and their texts demonstrate the fact that the Hyksos were Semitic.

Yes, Hyksos adopted the Egyptian style.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Hyksos adopted the Egyptian style.
Living as an Egyptian in Egypt was what made someone an Egyptian. On top of this, their names were egyptian as far as we can tell.
there are history books that say so.
On which base ? How come you cannot give the name of the writers ? BTW : Finding foreign artifacts in a port which is also the capital city, big deal.
I studied in Egypt for a long time .
What do you think I have done?

Last edited:

Satuf

Ad Honorem
Nov 2009
Nebraska
Living as an Egyptian in Egypt was what made someone an Egyptian. On top of this, their names were egyptian as far as we can tell.
On which base ? How come you cannot give the name of the writers ? BTW : Finding foreign artifacts in a port which is also the capital city, big deal.
What do you think I have done?
So, you're saying that Egyptians got out of Egypt, lived for a short period in the Levant, and then got back to Egypt as Hyksos? how lovely..

They wanted and chose to be Egyptians, while they were really Semites.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
So, you're saying that Egyptians got out of Egypt, lived for a short period in the Levant, and then got back to Egypt as Hyksos? how lovely..
This is not what I'm saying, but I guess you have not yet read egyptian texts on this subject and therefore you are way behind on a possible usefull discussion.
.. they were really Semites.
You still bring no evidence.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
Barlier, wrote; "The kings of the XV dyn left no inscription in a semitic language, all texts are in Egyptian."

Dear sir or madame! If you follow the history of history, then you might well know that the rule of the Hyksos, has been at one time or another atrributed to have lasted for "over 500 years" to todays "expert" reconstruction of about 70 years!

So, if 500 is closer to the truth, then it is now wonder that they had "Egyptian names!"

I have oft wondered just how long one nation had to conquer and rule another until the differences between the conquered and the conquerors were indistinguishable? One might certainly think that even after a period of even 100 years, the two lines of thought might well be somewhat "merged?"

But history does not seem to agree with me?

Ron

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
As a base, to start a discussion, may I suggest Ian Shaw, The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt. What's the point to throw numbers, names, without a single reference. BTW I gave above the books and articles I used when writting my own article, that does not make me right, but at least you have an idea of my sources.