Were the Mauryans vassals of the Seleucids?

Mar 2019
KL
ancient indians always extended their territory by marriage, or atleast was the policy followed by magadhans, bimbisara or ajatshatru married the princess of kashi/varanasi in order to extend their territory at kashi, same goes to gupta empire who married into licchavis which started the expansion of the gupta empire, similarly kadambas married their daughters and the plaque at mysore inscribes rule of the guptas there.

most probably indians avoided extensive blood shed and violence in order to control the territory and always preferred marriage alliances.

as i already stated, the pact or an agreement was also made between the greeks and the porus, and the greeks despite controlling western coast of Beas river retreated to gandhara or territories which were already part of achaemenids while the rest was given back to porus, the indian historians can also use this as an excuse of the defeat of the greeks by porus, same is the notion concocted by the eurocentric scholars nothing else.

no where according to rules of nature and humans, a vassal state expands his territory, not to mention gets to marry the daughter as a ''vassal''.

regards

Nov 2011
The Bluff
well if they were vassals it must have been a "pretend" vassalage at most, but if the Mauryans were able to defeat them and take their land why would they be vassals to the Selucids?
Perhaps you can provide the sources which relate the Seleukid defeat at the hands of the Mauryans. As a reading of this thread shows, that is very much debatable.

Nov 2011
The Bluff
as i already stated, the pact or an agreement was also made between the greeks and the porus...
No. Poros was a client king - a vassal ruler under Macedonian suzerainty. This is clear from the sources and internally consistent throughout.

Those sources of yours, promised near two months back, seem not to be wanting to be found.

Reactions: World Focker
Mar 2019
KL
No. Poros was a client king - a vassal ruler under Macedonian suzerainty. This is clear from the sources and internally consistent throughout.
what is clear from the sources is the greek retreat from the beas territory as its not mentioned by strabo as held by the greeks as i have already mentioned. who is the client and who is not can be assessed from the greek sources and we certainly dont need western european interpretation regarding it.

regards

Nov 2011
The Bluff
what is clear from the sources is the greek retreat from the beas territory as its not mentioned by strabo as held by the greeks as i have already mentioned. who is the client and who is not can be assessed from the greek sources and we certainly dont need western european interpretation regarding it.

regards
Can you supply sources demonstrating this Greek retreat and your alleged "pact or agreement" between retreating Greeks and Poros? As with those promised two months back, I'm not holding my breath.

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.

Those sources of yours, promised near two months back, seem not to be wanting to be found.
Bro, these guys never have sources. They're not in it for the history, but for identity building. There's a reason (almost) only South Asian posters are found on South Asian topics nowadays; they've driven everyone out. Unless you want to get down in the mud with this fundamentalist BS...

Nov 2011
The Bluff
Bro, these guys never have sources. They're not in it for the history, but for identity building. There's a reason (almost) only South Asian posters are found on South Asian topics nowadays; they've driven everyone out. Unless you want to get down in the mud with this fundamentalist BS...
Oh, I'm well aware. Still, one must apply the torch to the belly of nationalism as history.

Reactions: World Focker
Mar 2019
KL
Can you supply sources demonstrating this Greek retreat and your alleged "pact or agreement" between retreating Greeks and Poros? As with those promised two months back, I'm not holding my breath.
read the very first posts and my quotation on strabo.

regards