Were the Thracians the majority in Macedonia?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
This is from the user @bilbil

"Recognizable are the two words lej/леј and vino/вино. Lej in Macedonian has the meaning "to pour" much in quantity. Вино/vino, clearly means wine. Put together, Λειβηνος/Леивинос/Leivinos carries the meaning "pourer of the wine"."
If you are trying to imitate deaf tuner’s joke, you are almost succeeding, but you need more practice.

If you are serious, then… I don’t know… if is embarrassing how you think that quote, if existed (you didn’t provide a link, but probably this is your first non-false quote), from some user in Historum, can be a source for your claim. That sentence is a pure salad of languages.

Well: “In vino veritas”! (the true is in the wine... or it was in the drunk... something like that...)

How is it not? It clearly says that parts of thessaly had been populated by thracians, not only macedonia.
That question “how is it not?” is related to what of my statements? You quoted several.

Do you mean why “Browse around” is not a source?

Or that the end of the post #1 is not a source for your statnenebt “Thessalians have partially been thracian as well”

By the way a source stating that there were Thracians in Thessalia doesn’t have the same implications that Thessalians have been Thracian as well.

There were Greeks in the Iberian Peninsula, and yet we cannot say that the Iberians were Greeks. Or that the Iberians have partially been Greeks as well.

Anyway it is odd to see you changing your quotes. You begun to quote Hammond and Borza (and other scholars), then Wikipedia, then when we saw that all those quotes couldn’t be proved, you quoted “bilbil” (and without a link to the quoted sentence, and probably your first true quote).

Again, I send you this link several times, I hope someday you can read it: https://historum.com/pages/content-guidelines/#citing-sources

This can also be of interest to you:

https://library.upei.ca/sites/library.upei.ca/files/historyciting2014.pdf

Following those rules will avoid you to make false claims, quoting sources that don’t exist, and to seem you suspiciously intellectually dishonest.

Aug 2019
North
I still didn’t had the opportunity to say, but: It is good to see you back!

I missed your good humour!

And I made a good laugh on this one!

I am sure that you know that “Browse around” is not a source. And it even isn’t a good answer for those moments that you don’t have a source.

I saw. It is not a source for your statement. So, let me repeat… source?

I am beginning to think that you are the king of the false sources. You quote Hammond and Borza in sentences that they apparently never wrote, you quote Wikipedia with sentences never seen there… but you can prove that I am wrong, and make a proper quote.

I send you this link several times, here in goes again: https://historum.com/pages/content-guidelines/#citing-sources
If you are trying to imitate deaf tuner’s joke, you are almost succeeding, but you need more practice.

If you are serious, then… I don’t know… if is embarrassing how you think that quote, if existed (you didn’t provide a link, but probably this is your first non-false quote), from some user in Historum, can be a source for your claim. That sentence is a pure salad of languages.

Well: “In vino veritas”! (the true is in the wine... or it was in the drunk... something like that...)

That question “how is it not?” is related to what of my statements? You quoted several.

Do you mean why “Browse around” is not a source?

Or that the end of the post #1 is not a source for your statnenebt “Thessalians have partially been thracian as well”

By the way a source stating that there were Thracians in Thessalia doesn’t have the same implications that Thessalians have been Thracian as well.

There were Greeks in the Iberian Peninsula, and yet we cannot say that the Iberians were Greeks. Or that the Iberians have partially been Greeks as well.

Anyway it is odd to see you changing your quotes. You begun to quote Hammond and Borza (and other scholars), then Wikipedia, then when we saw that all those quotes couldn’t be proved, you quoted “bilbil” (and without a link to the quoted sentence, and probably your first true quote).

Again, I send you this link several times, I hope someday you can read it: https://historum.com/pages/content-guidelines/#citing-sources

This can also be of interest to you:

https://library.upei.ca/sites/library.upei.ca/files/historyciting2014.pdf

Following those rules will avoid you to make false claims, quoting sources that don’t exist, and to seem you suspiciously intellectually dishonest.
There were thracians in thessalia as part of thessalians

Aug 2019
North
According to heschiyus, the thracians worshipped leivinos as a cult. Since ancient greeks drank water deluted wine, it's impossible to claim that the leivinos cult originated in ancient greece.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
According to heschiyus, the thracians worshipped leivinos as a cult. Since ancient greeks drank water deluted wine, it's impossible to claim that the leivinos cult originated in ancient greece.
I see so many reasoning and methodological errors here that I have difficulty to begin with.

Please bring “heschiyus” quote.

Please prove that the Ancient Greeks only drink “water deluted wine”.

Please prove that is “impossible to claim that the leivinos cult originated in ancient greece”.

Don't you believe strabo?
What has that to do with the theme? Strabo is a source. Any source must be submitted to source criticism.

The problem here is that in this case the source that you mention, Strabo, doesn’t say the same that you. Again and again you are using a source that doesn’t support your statements.

Sep 2019
Vergina
The Strabo qoute is actually interesting. It is very possible that in Strabo's time 7 BC-23 AD the Thracians had made inroads into Macedonia and Thessaly. I think the key word used is "occupied" in this scenario. In Strabo's era the Kingdom of Macedonia had long since ceased to exist (168 BC) and the area was under Roman rule. As Cassius Dio, relates Macedonia and Greece were constantly being attacked by northern tribes during this period. Marcus Licinius Crassus the Younger had to defeat such an invasion by various groups. As Dio states Crassus "chiefly out of fear for Macedonia, went out to meet them."

So if you want to claim that in Strabo's era Macedonia-Thessaly was at some point "occuiped" by Thracians that's reasonable. I however don't believe this quote has any bearing on the Kingdom of Macedonia that existed in the time of Alexander III or Philip II.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North
The Strabo qoute is actually interesting. It is very possible that in Strabo's time 7 BC-23 AD the Thracians had made inroads into Macedonia and Thessaly. I think the key word used is "occupied" in this scenario. In Strabo's era the Kingdom of Macedonia had long since ceased to exist (168 BC) and the area was under Roman rule. As Cassius Dio, relates Macedonia and Greece were constantly being attacked by northern tribes during this period. Marcus Licinius Crassus the Younger had to defeat such an invasion by various groups. As Dio states Crassus "chiefly out of fear for Macedonia, went out to meet them."

So if you want to claim that in Strabo's era Macedonia-Thessaly was at some point "occuiped" by Thracians that's reasonable. I however don't believe this quote has any bearing on the Kingdom of Macedonia that existed in the time of Alexander III or Philip II.
Does strabo mention roman contemporaries in his writings? No.