Were the Thracians the majority in Macedonia?

Oct 2012
Btw.According to Strabo "even now the barbarians possess a large part of the country, which, without dispute, is Greece. Macedonia is occupied by Thracians, as well as some parts of Thessaly "
So,Macedonia and Thessaly are part of a country, whitch, without dispute, is Greece.

Sep 2019
Vergina
Posting this here as well: "The city is large and populous; it ranks next to Alexandreia, and, like that place, is inhabited by mixed races of people."
Strabo, Geography, BOOK XVII.

Strabo discusses past figures such as Alexander but also mentions the contemporary make up of locations.

Aug 2019
North
Btw.According to Strabo "even now the barbarians possess a large part of the country, which, without dispute, is Greece. Macedonia is occupied by Thracians, as well as some parts of Thessaly "
So,Macedonia and Thessaly are part of a country, whitch, without dispute, is Greece.
So what strabo's saying is there was a dispute about whether or not that country is greece.

Sep 2019
Vergina
Like I said before its still an interesting quote and i'm glad @Ken12 brought it up. It makes me think that after the collapse of the Macedonian Kingdom in 168 BC, Thracians took advantage of the power vacuum and migrated south into Macedonia-Thessaly

Aug 2019
North
Posting this here as well: "The city is large and populous; it ranks next to Alexandreia, and, like that place, is inhabited by mixed races of people."
Strabo, Geography, BOOK XVII.

Strabo discusses past figures such as Alexander but also mentions the contemporary make up of locations.
He says that the sides of greece are inhabited by biarbarians, and that it's not bad, because before the ancient greeks the whole of greece was inhabited by barbarians. Read the post #1, deduce.

Oct 2012
Like I said before its still an interesting quote and i'm glad @Ken12 brought it up. It makes me think that after the collapse of the Macedonian Kingdom in 168 BC, Thracians took advantage of the power vacuum and migrated south into Macedonia-Thessaly
It is interesting, but it might be he is exxagerating the barbaric invasions for political reasons, him being an ardent supporter of Roman imperialism.

Reactions: arrhidaeus
Sep 2019
Vergina
Does strabo mention roman contemporaries in his writings? No.
He mentions Mark Antony in the Egyptian portion and also Augustus here:

"Now Augustus Caesar concerned himself about such impairments of the city, organising for protection against fires a militia composed of freedmen, whose duty it was to render assistance"

Aug 2019
North
You are perfidious. I didn't bring it up. Simba did.

Sep 2019
Vergina
You are perfidious. I didn't bring it up. Simba did.
Not sure what you mean? Simba hasn't posted anything on this site in months and this thread is from a year ago. You brought it to the forum's attention again and I'm glad as it was an interesting quote.

EDIT: Last post prior to you was Sept, 2018.