Were the Thracians the majority in Macedonia?

Sep 2019
Vergina
I think he was expressing his horror of barbarians occupying Greek land.
Since Strabo was Greek himself that would make the most sense. I can't imagine any scenario in which he would view the Thracians overrunning Macedonia-Thessaly as a positive development.

Aug 2019
North
Since Strabo was Greek himself that would make the most sense. I can't imagine any scenario in which he would view the Thracians overrunning Macedonia-Thessaly as a positive development.
In the post #1 there is a claim that thracians under eumolpus long before then occupied attica. We can only guess on the sheer number of thracians that settled in macedonia and.thessaly.

Sep 2019
Vergina
In the post #1 there is a claim that thracians under eumolpus long before then occupied attica. We can only guess on the sheer number of thracians that settled in macedonia and.thessaly.
First, we should point out that Eumolpus is mythical as he was the son of Poseidon with a Thracian Princess. I will leave open the possibility that he may have existed in some form like the Trojan War heroes. As we have discussed previously the Athenians did make use of Thracian deities so they certainly did have connections. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a bronze age band of Greco-Thracians at one point occupied Attica. The idea that the Thracians had connections with Macedonia, Thessaly and Athens is worth exploring more.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
North
First, we should point out that Eumolpus is mythical as he was the son of Poseidon with a Thracian Princess. I will leave open the possibility that he may have existed in some form like the Trojan War heroes. As we have discussed previously the Athenians did make use of Thracian deities so they certainly did have connections. It's not outside the realm of possibility that a bronze age band of Greco-Thracians at one point occupied Attica. The idea that the Thracians had connections with Macedonia, Thessaly and Athens is worth exploring more.
However, the no. of thracians who settled macedonia has to be immense, as they reached all the way to attica. The very mention of a god, means that the no. had to be great.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
.. indeed they were vast in numbers and their descendants Northdonians today are vast in numbers in fact there are all over the world though they no longer worship Leivino and his first cousin the water god Leivodka, but the almighty god of rabbits, their Lord and Master Zaev.

Reactions: TupSum