Were there any territories in British India in 1947 that would have preferred to become independent states as opposed to a part of India or Pakistan?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, I know that Kashmir is pretty diverse:

BTW, what motivated some of the Muslims in the Kashmir Valley to rebel against India in the first place? The rigged 1987 elections in Kashmir?

Also, off-topic, but didn't Pakistan actually initially oppose the idea of holding a plebiscite in Kashmir?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Removal of pro-independence PM Kak, and subsequent appointment of Mahajan made it clear as day what he was about to do.
Still it was an interference and violation of standstill agreement by Pakistan. Besides, Pakistan itself forcefully annexed Kalat of Balochistan denying them Right to self determination, it sounds bizarre they want all these things from Kashmir forgetting that they annexed Balochistan despite anti-accession resolution by Kalat's Assembly.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Yeah, I know that Kashmir is pretty diverse:

BTW, what motivated some of the Muslims in the Kashmir Valley to rebel against India in the first place? The rigged 1987 elections in Kashmir?

Also, off-topic, but didn't Pakistan actually initially oppose the idea of holding a plebiscite in Kashmir?
People may give different reasons, the main reason that instigated the insurgency was the retreat of Soviets from Afghanistan and fall of the Soviet Union which Pakistanis still believe was due to Soviet Afghan war and they are the main reason. It was due to religiously inspired insurgency that Soviets were made to retreat and Pakistanis in full confidence wanted to try it against India.

Oct 2015
India
Were there any territories in British India in 1947 that would have preferred to become independent states as opposed to a part of India or Pakistan? For the record, I mean having their population--as opposed to their leadership--support becoming an independent state rather than merely a part of India or Pakistan.

Any thoughts on this?
"British India" consisted of territories under direct rule of British Colonial Government. In addition there were the 560 of so "Princely States". While "British India" was partitioned into India and Pakistan based on line drawn by Radcliffe, the Princely States had a choice to join or not.

Please clarify, whether the question is about British India or Princely States?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
"British India" consisted of territories under direct rule of British Colonial Government. In addition there were the 560 of so "Princely States". While "British India" was partitioned into India and Pakistan based on line drawn by Radcliffe, the Princely States had a choice to join or not.

Please clarify, whether the question is about British India or Princely States?
It's about both of these. I was talking about Indian provinces as well as about princely states here.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
It's about both of these. I was talking about Indian provinces as well as about princely states here.
Among princely states, the King had to choose. Among provinces the elected Assembly of 1946 had to choose except NWFP where referendum took place as it was Muslim majority but voted for Indian National Congress. In Bengal assembly, the Hindu members were given option to partition Bengal or let united Bengal go to Pakistan.

Also, among princely states Hyderabad and Junagarh were annexed into India, while Pakistan annexed Kalat(Balochistan) into Pakistan. Pakistan also tried to annex Kashmir into Pakistan but before Srinagar falls to Pakistan, Maharaja signed accession paper with India and the Indian army stopped their advance further.

Aug 2014
pakistan
Were there any territories in British India in 1947 that would have preferred to become independent states as opposed to a part of India or Pakistan? For the record, I mean having their population--as opposed to their leadership--support becoming an independent state rather than merely a part of India or Pakistan.

Any thoughts on this?
I think Pashtun belt of British-India (NWFP+Northern Baluchistan) would have preferred to become independent state as opposed to a part of India or Pakistan.