Were You a Hippie?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Dont start me on the library ! :mad:

Local library had great books on traditional Japanese Bamboo building techniques ( a lot of bamboo grown locally here and people are always trying to find ways to use it) , also a great book on western alchemy, one of the clearest and most insightful I have read , a book on Aussie Antarctic explorations, some geological mapping books of local area and some with local agricultural information , all that I used to reference over the years ... are gone ! ... GONE !

While discussing this with the librarian, who told me if the books dont get taken out enough they get rid of them, sell them off cheap or dump them , this girl asks her for 'such and such' book, the librarian looks on her file and says, 'We have 8 copies, all out, and with a waiting list to borrow, that means we can buy two more. I will order them in and send you a message when one is available."

I asked what this popular book was and it was a fictional series about vampires .

WTF!

Also i found it hard to study on line there once as all these little kids have crammed up the computers and playing video games and making noise and calling out and exclaiming ans stuff so I " Shhhhhh ! "

And the librarian came over and told me not to do that . I was : "But its a library ! " And she ; "Libraries are not like that anymore, now they are a place if social interaction . "

So I stopped going there. ..... and now I just sit back ... and watch the ignorance spread - and watch people stumbling about in their ignorance making the most pathetic and falling apart bamboo structures I have ever seen ! ... and now say its a bad material to work with.

But vampires ? That really really helps the community ! :rolleyes:

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Yes, public libraries have changed a lot! All that you have described is still how many public libraries operate. New books come out, and fill the shelves, and if there is no room.. We generate lists and weed books from the shelf. I have a number of books that I have resisted weeding even with low circulation; they form part of a balanced and complete collection, and should someone need them, they are there. New "classics" come out periodically, and folks forget about the older books on the shelf, though they may be excellent. Each library is different too, with different demographics. I have been working at the same library for 26 years; I've seen a LOT of change there. The first librarian at my library, Lucia Bliss:

Last edited:
Dont start me on the library ! :mad:

Local library had great books on traditional Japanese Bamboo building techniques ( a lot of bamboo grown locally here and people are always trying to find ways to use it) , also a great book on western alchemy, one of the clearest and most insightful I have read , a book on Aussie Antarctic explorations, some geological mapping books of local area and some with local agricultural information , all that I used to reference over the years ... are gone ! ... GONE !

While discussing this with the librarian, who told me if the books dont get taken out enough they get rid of them, sell them off cheap or dump them , this girl asks her for 'such and such' book, the librarian looks on her file and says, 'We have 8 copies, all out, and with a waiting list to borrow, that means we can buy two more. I will order them in and send you a message when one is available."

I asked what this popular book was and it was a fictional series about vampires .

WTF!

Also i found it hard to study on line there once as all these little kids have crammed up the computers and playing video games and making noise and calling out and exclaiming ans stuff so I " Shhhhhh ! "

And the librarian came over and told me not to do that . I was : "But its a library ! " And she ; "Libraries are not like that anymore, now they are a place if social interaction . "

So I stopped going there. ..... and now I just sit back ... and watch the ignorance spread - and watch people stumbling about in their ignorance making the most pathetic and falling apart bamboo structures I have ever seen ! ... and now say its a bad material to work with.

But vampires ? That really really helps the community ! :rolleyes:
I feel for you specul8. The issue of modern libraries deserves a new discussion in itself.

In my city there is the council library, which isn't too bad, but books seem to be of less interest to them than other community concerns. I asked for a particular 3-volume history book there but, when they looked for it, they found that 2 volumes of it were lost - presumably stolen. They didn't seem concerned about it. There is another library in the city, which is basically listed as a charity (it was founded in the early-19th century), and I became a member of that, after finding all 3 volumes of the book there. I like using it, but a lot of the members regard it as a place to sit, have a cup of tea, and chat - loudly, probably about anything but the contents of books. When I mentioned this I was told "Oh well we want to be welcoming to people" or something to that effect. It is a smallish library, which continues to buy new books, but appears to keep massive weighty tomes from over 150 years ago (eg census reports, parliamentary proceedings) which are surely now online so I don't know that anyone will ever open those books again. Here's a thumbnail of it.
1539155048873.png

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Yes, public libraries have changed a lot! All that you have described is still how many public libraries operate. New books come out, and fill the shelves, and if there is no room.. We generate lists and weed books from the shelf. I have a number of books that I have resisted weeding even with low circulation; they form part of a balanced and complete collection, and should someone need them, they are there. New "classics" come out periodically, and folks forget about the older books on the shelf, though they may be excellent. Each library is different too, with different demographics. I have been working at the same library for 26 years; I've seen a LOT of change there. The first librarian at my library, Lucia Bliss:

Oooooh .... I betchya she was a 'shusher' !

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I am not sure that at 1960's it was a big movement. Even my grandparents didn't remember anything.
?

They 'missed' the 'revolution' ?

Interesting comment though ... it appears you where no where near it in age, time or location and have not looked into it as recent history, so do not understand its import and influence on the collective human psyche at the time, and in continuation. You also seem to think your grandparents should have known about it, but they seem to know nothing.

And hence your conclusion is ; you are not sure it was a big movement .

From those limited resources ... I would not be sure about anything !