What am I?

R5 plus

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Home of Ringing Rocks
So...it's been awhile...hope you all are doing well. Things are fine on this end, but have changed a lot in the last few years. We moved. I started substitute teaching. Here and there I've given history talks to kids (from grades 5-12). I'm still writing but had a setback when I lost a huge chunk of data - don't get me started - it's painful.:crying:

Anyway, my question today is about giving history talks. Up 'til now I've volunteered to talk to people who know me (or my kids), or I've given history talks as a substitute teacher (when the teacher has allowed me to bring my own lesson). I'm starting to branch out and will be giving a talk to homeschool students at a library (volunteer). When introduced previously I've been "so-and-so's mom", or I've just said something generic about loving to talk about history.

The librarian wants me to write a mini bio. I'm not really up-to-date on the latest titles and what they mean to other people. I have a liberal arts degree in an unrelated subject. When researching topics, I frequently use primary and secondary sources. Although I can give a basic overview about many aspects in my areas of interest, I'd still consider myself to have more of a niche knowledge. I've definitely moved beyond "armchair historian", but what would you call me? Am I an independent researcher? An amateur historian? Or something else?

Further, I like talking to people about these topics, and live in an area where they may be future opportunities, possibly even leading to future income possibilities. The library talk won't make or break my "identity", but I'd like to start saying what I am and what I can do because it may lead to something with history that I'd love to do.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If you don't mind me asking, is substitute teacher your regular job or do you primarily do something else for a living?

R5 plus

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Home of Ringing Rocks
I've been subbing on a fairly regular basis since my youngest entered kindergarten. The hours are different every year depending on various factors.

Reactions: Futurist

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
R5 plus never mentioned a thing about his/her writings. Just "The librarian wants me to write a mini bio." I assumed that he/she still didn't wrote it.
You would want a mini-bio to be about:
Who you are: Married, living in town since...
What you are: Phd and amateur historian.
What you want: enthuse children for history
Favorite subjects: Ie local history, Romans etc. And/or some specifics like having material to show

That way people know who they are going to listen to, what the target audience is and what it is about. You can change details per "event", just like you would with a CV.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You would want a mini-bio to be about:
Who you are: Married, living in town since...
What you are: Phd and amateur historian.
What you want: enthuse children for history
Favorite subjects: Ie local history, Romans etc. And/or some specifics like having material to show

That way people know who they are going to listen to, what the target audience is and what it is about. You can change details per "event", just like you would with a CV.
What I mean is that if he/she never wrote a work, including the mini-bio (even if autobiographical), how can he/she be consider a "amateur historian"?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
What I mean is that if he/she never wrote a work, including the mini-bio (even if autobiographical), how can he/she be consider a "amateur historian"?
Do you have a better word? The lack of publications would imply you're an amateur and not a professional historian.