What an impact made Herman Potočnik?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Herman Potočnik "Noordung" was amongst others a rocket engineer and a pioneer of kosmonautics, space travel and space technology. He is best known for his book The Problem of Space Travel (1928), a partial translation of it into English was made already in 1929. In it he describes his vision of a space station in the orbit and many other things. You can read more about him in the wiki article linked here: Herman Potočnik

Potočnik is relatively famous in Slovenia, the memmorial center in Vitanje which also hosts exhibition of various space technology is named after him etc.

So my question is, how much of an impact did Potočnik's book cause? Did other scientists use and build on his ideas later on? Just what was the share of his ideas in the big picture?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
I would put him as part of a "triumvirate" alongside Tsiolkovsky and Goddard, as without those three, then the engineers who followed, Koselev and von Braun, would have struggled harder than they did, and maybe not even have had the idea to build rockets. So Potočnik, I know not exactly a household name, stands on the top step.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I would put him as part of a "triumvirate" alongside Tsiolkovsky and Goddard, as without those three, then the engineers who followed, Koselev and von Braun, would have struggled harder than they did, and maybe not even have had the idea to build rockets. So Potočnik, I know not exactly a household name, stands on the top step.
Thank you for your reply! :) I'm not that familiar with the other names you mentioned (or with the broader topic all together), so my point of focus in this thread is maily on Potočnik as we're kinsmen, but any input is od course welcome.