What are bloodiest battle as a percentage of participants?

Jun 2013
Agraphur
Was reading up on the Battle of Lund 1676 which probably is the most bitter battle in Nordic history that resulted casualties of 67% of the participants. two out of three, dead, wounded or captured.

So I was wondering what are the battles that tops that?

Jun 2012
Brazil
The Siege of Tenochtitlan was very bloody, the florentine codex put he number of Aztec death, in 240.000 with probably was a exagerated number, but Spanish observers put the number of death at 100.000 deaths with was half the population of the city.
source:Wars of the Americas: A Chronology of Armed Conflict in the Western Hemisphere, 1492 to the Present

Another blood battle, was the battle of tuyuti in (Paraguayan War 1865-1870), from 23.000 men deployed by Paraguay at the start of the battle, they lost 13.000 betwen, death prisoners and wounded.

Canudos War, in Brasil the rebels, of Canudos lost 25.000 deaths only 150 survivors.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Agraphur
First battle of Kosovo was apparently horrific for both sides.

Seems to be a contender but the estimates of the size of the forces varies quite a lot. 12000- 25000 Serbians and 27000-40000 Ottomans. But aside Vuk Branković some 25% of their strength disengaging, it seems the Serb forces were near total. and the Ottoman lost more then half their forces at least.

Feb 2017
Rock Hill, South Carolina
We don't have good numbers for the Battle of the Catalaunian Fields but if we knock a few zeros off some primary source figures and assume those figures are correct then Jordanes' numbers the Roman and Hun armies at 50,000 a piece and the casualties were 45,000 total.

Also wasn't Stalingrad pretty bloody?

Jun 2013
Agraphur
To reiterate, I'm curious about a battle with casualties as a percentage of participants. If you take Little Big Horn and grant that Custer's battalion and not the entire 7th regiment were involved it wouldn't be more then 50% for a total loss, the Native casualties seems to have been rather light, between 60-200 of some 2000 natives.

If you take the battle of Tuyutí the wiki says 13500 participants 3433 captured and killed so a mere 25%.

So what I have in mind is a battle were one side is annihilated and the winners not doing much better.

Jun 2012
Brazil
To reiterate, I'm curious about a battle with casualties as a percentage of participants. If you take Little Big Horn and grant that Custer's battalion and not the entire 7th regiment were involved it wouldn't be more then 50% for a total loss, the Native casualties seems to have been rather light, between 60-200 of some 2000 natives.

If you take the battle of Tuyutí the wiki says 13500 participants 3433 captured and killed so a mere 25%.

So what I have in mind is a battle were one side is annihilated and the winners not doing much better.
There are two Tuyuti battles you quoted the second one with was smaller, the bigger was the first one were Paraguay lost nearly 50% of his army in four hours, it was also considered one of the bloodiest battle in south america.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tuyutí

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions