What are in your opinion the greatest Asian empire ever, not counting the Middle East?

Jun 2015
UK
The Mongols conquered China, which was numerically sttronger.

The British didn't conquer France, but their defeat in the Seven Years War was a major reason why the British Empire reached the prominence it did.

Few Chinese dynasties ever were expansionist.

Apr 2019
United States
I'll admit I don't know much about the others, but the Mongol Empire was so impressive in its size. And although it was sparsely occupied, it was an empire in every sense of the word. Anybody who defied the Khan would see the Horde riding towards its city with no quarter.
Yup very true. The Mongols had a very well trained military who rode horses and usesd bows their whole lives which helped them gain an edge over everyone else. They were very quick so could fake retreat and flank very easily and they used Chinese siege technologies to siege cities. Overtime their military just grew larger and larger because of this and they developed a huge empire.

Apr 2019
United States
The WW2-era Japanese empire was nothing to trifle with. The Mauryans and Mughals were both very powerful. I'm not sure if Britain counts, but most of their empire was in Asia. The Qin dynasty didn't last past it's first emperor, but their Legalist philosophy made them foes you wouldn't want to mess with. Really if Qin Shi Huang hadn't drunk Mercury and and subsequently undermined everything he built, China would be a very different place.
I definitely agree with those choices but they would be after the other 3 in my opinion. Mauryan and Mughal Empires would definitely be in the top 10 also. The only thing about Japan in WWII was that its only achievements were military, and they conquered much weaker countries. They lasted for about 5 years and then the bomb dropped and devestated them. They were too short lasting and only picked on their other neighbors, not really having many major achievements beyond that. They also made a dumb move at Pearl Harbor which ultimately killed the.

Apr 2019
United States
The Mongols were the greatest empire in terms of size and military strength, but their empire did not match the longevity of some of the others mentioned. It really comes down to the definition of "greatest".
Thats why the Mongols werent number one for me. They lasted about 100 (plus the khanates) and by greatest I mean most powerful and influential overall. I usually look at the civilizations economy, political stability, impact on our daily life, military, and architecture.

Aug 2016
US&A
The Mongols conquered China, which was numerically sttronger.

The British didn't conquer France, but their defeat in the Seven Years War was a major reason why the British Empire reached the prominence it did.

Few Chinese dynasties ever were expansionist.
The Mongols conquered China in two pieces. Chingghis almost finished the Jurchen Jin dynasty before he died, which had taken northern China from the Song dynasty. Then his grandson Kubilai completed the conquest of China with the defeat of the remnants of the Song dynasty later on.

The Jin had been weakened by fighting the Song already, and it's hard to say who was stronger. However, Kubilai had a massive numerical advantage when he fought the Song.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
The Mongols were the greatest empire in terms ofsize and military strength, but their empire did not match the longevity of some of the others mentioned. It really comes down to the definition of "greatest".
Would you consider the Mughals of India as a continuation of the Mongol empire?