What are some great multi-volume histories you would recommend?

Mar 2016
Australia
I'm currently 150 pages into the fourth volume of Jonathan Sumption's Hundred Years War and to be honest I don't know how I can go back to shorter, single-volume histories after this. The level of detail, depth and comprehensiveness is amazing, and like nothing I've ever experienced before in history. What else would you recommend? I'm aware of Shelby Foote's American Civil War books, but that war holds little interest for me. I know about the Oxford series of histories, too.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Have you ever checked out Ian Kershaw's series of books on Hitler? I know that two of them are part of a series.

Reactions: JPK
Oct 2018
Sydney
Donald Kagan's series on the Peloponnesian War is a classic (The Outbreak of the Peloponnesian War; The Archidamian War ; The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition; The Fall of the Athenian Empire).

While not technically a series, J. F. Lazenby's books on the First and Second Punic Wars are brilliant (The First Punic War; Hannibal's War).

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I'm currently 150 pages into the fourth volume of Jonathan Sumption's Hundred Years War and to be honest I don't know how I can go back to shorter, single-volume histories after this. The level of detail, depth and comprehensiveness is amazing, and like nothing I've ever experienced before in history. What else would you recommend? I'm aware of Shelby Foote's American Civil War books, but that war holds little interest for me. I know about the Oxford series of histories, too.
Yeah I got Sumption's hundred years war and found it very good, I heard good things about Thunder on the Danube and it's one I'm very keen to get my hands on, just haven't read that much on the 1809 campaign.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
No, I hadn't heard of them. Generally I'm not too interested in 20th century history because of how close it is to the current era, so I tend to not seek out histories of the World Wars (although there are some exceptions with WW1).
If you want something farther back, you could check out Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs:

Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant - Wikipedia

They're a two-volume series and cover his time in the US military--including as a general.

JPK

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
I would recommend The Army Of The Potomac Trilogy by Bruce Catton - the trilogy consists of Mr. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road and A Stillness At Appomattox. Also there is William Manchester's The Last Lion, a 3-part biography of Winston Churchill. The three parts are Visions Of Glory, Alone and Defender Of The Realm.