What are some interesting history books you like to recommend?

Sep 2018
norway
i wonder if somone have some intresting books they would reckament hopefully about history

it dosnt ned to be 100% fact either

Oct 2016
Merryland
('Recommend')
War Through the Ages by Montross. Excellent general history of war.
Guns of August by Tuchman. She has several other really good books. This one is about the buildup and start of WWI.
Fire in the Sky by Bergerud. Outstanding analysis of the Pacific Theater in WWII, and how air, land and sea operations worked together.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Just finished To End All Wars: How the First World War Divided Britain by Adam Hochschild who I must admit I’d never heard of before. Very good story of the campaigners against the war and of conscientious objectors. Also taught me a lot about the Pankhurst mother and daughters.

Reactions: RobinKn
Nov 2018
Ireland
The Burning of Bridget Cleary by Angela Bourke gives a great insight into the contrasting societies in Ireland in the late 19th century. Set in rural Tipperary, 26 year old Bridget Cleary is found tortured and burned to death by her husband and relatives as they believed she was taken by fairies and a changling (a sickly fairy) was put in her place. This is a great read showing how folklore played a vital role in the lives of people in uneducated rural settings in Ireland right up to the turn on the 20th century whilst the rest of Ireland moved on. This is a case that sent widespread shock around Ireland as well as other places, but the court rulings are an even bigger surprise.

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
The Making of the English Working Class by EP Thompson is the first book I would recommend but, as said above, it depends what type of history you're interested in?

Reactions: Druid
Mar 2013
Stafford, VA
The Crouching Beast: A United States Army Lieutenant's Account of the Battle for Hamburger Hill, May 1969 by Frank Boccia. Very well written.

Mar 2016
Australia
1415: Henry V's Year of Glory by Ian Mortimer is always my answer when someone asks for an "interesting" book on history, because its structure is so unique for a medieval-themed history book. Obviously the Battle of Agincourt is very well known (arguably the most well known medieval battle), but Mortimer's decision to recount the entire year of 1415 day-by-day was brilliant: the extraordinarily minutiae detail that we get about every single aspect of the war and the campaign, especially in the build-up to it, really sheds a new light on it. The reader is made to see things from Henry's point of view as he reacts to events in what is essentially "real time" (or as close to that as you can get in a history book form), and so his decisions (especially the highly controversial ones) are shown in a less biased and more objective and matter-of-fact fashion. Rather than relying on the traditional misconception of "English longbowmen being brilliant" as the sole explanation of why the English won and the French lost, Mortimer shows in incredible detail why things turned out how they did, and how it could have been avoided on both sides. But the book is not only about the Agincourt campaign (which takes up only a third of the book), but also the Southampton Plot, the Council of Constance and the conclusion of the Great Schism, all of which occurred in the highly eventful year of 1415. Seeing this events occur in "real time" (i.e. day-by-day) gives a much better perspective on how people at the time saw them, with the fear, paranoia and uncertainty feeling more genuine when it isn't apparent what will happen next.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I agree with Sailor Sam's recommendation regarding ' The Guns of August ' by Barbara Tuchman. I would like to recommend C.S.Forester's fictional series of Hornblower novels. Similarly Herman Wouk's two great Historical Fiction novels ' The Winds of War ' and " War and Remembrance '. They are quite accurate in historical details. Two books by Alan Moorhead, which are not fiction are ' Gallipoli ' and ' The African Trilogy ' and these are great reads. So also is ' Hitler and Stalin parallel Lives ' by Alan Bullock, great stuff there. So also ' Hitler a study in Tyranny ' by the same author. Outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: sailorsam