What are some of your favorite portraits of famous people?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What are some of your favorite portraits (as in, paintings--not photographs) of famous or prominent people throughout history?

Here are ten of my favorites (not in any particular order):

Louis XIV by Hyacinthe Riguard from 1701:

Louis XV by Hyacinthe Riguard from 1730:

George Washington (Lansdowne Portrait) by Gilbert Stuart from 1796:

Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt by John Singer Sargent from 1903:

Chester Arthur by Daniel Huntington from 1885:

John Quincy Adams by George Peter Alexander Healy from 1858 (a decade after Adams's death);

Kaiser Wilhelm II by Max Koner from 1890:

Henry VIII by Hans Holbein the Younger from 1540:

James I, Count of La Marche (a French prince and a (great*5)-grandfather to French King Henry IV) by Merry-Joseph Blondel from 1835 (almost half a millennium after James's death):

Nicholas II of Russia by Earnest Lipgart from sometime in the early 20th century (almost certainly before Nicholas's overthrow in 1917):

Anyway, what are some of your favorite portraits of famous or notable people throughout history?

Reactions: Niobe

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, could this thread please be moved to the Culture/Arts section of this forum?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Frederick IV of Denmark by Rosalba Carriera:
220px-Frederik_4_Danmark.jpg
Napoleon by Jacques-Louis David. The attention to detail is amazing, besides the pretty realistic portrait of Napoleon (You can even see wrinkles on his coat.) the backround is telling, the chair has the Code Civil on it and the clock shows the time to be 3:20 AM or so, giving the impression that Napoleon stayed up late into the night an worked on his administration.

300px-Jacques-Louis_David_-_The_Emperor_Napoleon_in_His_Study_at_the_Tuileries_-_Google_Art_Pr...jpg
Jan III Sobieski after Vienna by Jezy Siemiginowski-Eleuter. I like the christian symbolism in the painting and the backround really adds to the image of a hero the picture is presenting.
170px-Siemiginowski_Sobieski_at_the_Battle_of_Vienna.jpg
King George III by Allan Ramsay.
220px-Allan_Ramsay_-_King_George_III_in_coronation_robes_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Frederick IV of Denmark by Rosalba Carriera:
View attachment 20269
Napoleon by Jacques-Louis David. The attention to detail is amazing, besides the pretty realistic portrait of Napoleon (You can even see wrinkles on his coat.) the backround is telling, the chair has the Code Civil on it and the clock shows the time to be 3:20 AM or so, giving the impression that Napoleon stayed up late into the night an worked on his administration.

View attachment 20270
Jan III Sobieski after Vienna by Jezy Siemiginowski-Eleuter. I like the christian symbolism in the painting and the backround really adds to the image of a hero the picture is presenting.
View attachment 20271
King George III by Allan Ramsay.
View attachment 20272
For some reason I don't really like the first painting here. The Napoleon and George III paintings are great and the Sobieski painting is decent but not as good as these two paintings.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
BTW, the painting of George III's wife Charlotte by the same artist (Allan Ramsay) is also very good:

Feb 2019
Serbia
For some reason I don't really like the first painting here. The Napoleon and George III paintings are great and the Sobieski painting is decent but not as good as these two paintings.
I like it, something about the style of it...

Anyway here is one more, Prince Frederick by Thomas Lawrence:
200px-Portrait_of_Frederick,_Duke_of_York_-_Lawrence_1816.jpg

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I like the photo of Einstein where he's sticking his tongue out.
I also like Washington Crossing the Delaware, mostly because it reminds me of a joke:

Teacher: "Johnny, was George Washington a soldier or a sailor?"
Johnny: "He must have been a soldier. A sailor would know better than to stand up in a row boat."

Sorry, I'm not really into art unless it makes me laugh.