What are some of your favorite portraits of famous people?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Yes, this - and the fact that Marengo deserves to be immortalized as well. ;) He was wounded 8 times in military service.
Marengo was immortalised, in my opinion more so than it should be. Napoleon made several ''official'' accounts of the battle, the battle got several paintings, legends and a march named after it. (More specifically the Consular Guard.) The fact that the battle that forced Austria's surrender was Hohenlinden (Which is far less famous.) and that a lot of credit for Marengo should go to Desaix shows to me that the battle and Napoleon's involvement were more than ''immortalised'', they were romanticised and twisted for propaganda heavily.

As for Napoleon being wounded, Oudinot was wounded 34 times apparently, he got nowhere near as much attention.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
Marengo was immortalised, in my opinion more so than it should be. Napoleon made several ''official'' accounts of the battle, the battle got several paintings, legends and a march named after it. (More specifically the Consular Guard.) The fact that the battle that forced Austria's surrender was Hohenlinden (Which is far less famous.) and that a lot of credit for Marengo should go to Desaix shows to me that the battle and Napoleon's involvement were more than ''immortalised'', they were romanticised and twisted for propaganda heavily.

As for Napoleon being wounded, Oudinot was wounded 34 times apparently, he got nowhere near as much attention.
Not sure we are talking about the same thing... maybe? Marengo, the Horse

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
This is a painting of Marengo, by James Ward

JamesWard-Marengo-missesNapoleon.jpg

This painting was specifically painted to show the horse, fractious and frightened, looking for his dead master, Napoleon, as the sun sets and darkness dominates the canvas. :crying:

Marengo was short (a bit over 14 hands), so shorter white horses in Napoleon portraits are supposed to be Marengo... whereas a taller mount usually is meant to be Le Vizir (another white/grey Arabian horse).

Sep 2016
Georgia
Some of the credit also should go to Massena. He managed to hold Austrians long enough at Genoa, so Napoleon would be able to cross the Alps and starts his operational encirclement of Melas.

This is a painting of Marengo, by James Ward

View attachment 20363

This painting was specifically painted to show the horse, fractious and frightened, looking for his dead master, Napoleon, as the sun sets and darkness dominates the canvas. :crying:

Marengo was short (a bit over 14 hands), so shorter white horses in Napoleon portraits are supposed to be Marengo... whereas a taller mount usually is meant to be Le Vizir (another white/grey Arabian horse).
It's quite an upsetting painting!

Similar History Discussions