What are the most valuable WW2 Armored Vehicles?

BloodyPirate

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Nassau
I know there are very few Tigers and Panthers around, and i'm sure those go for millions of dollars restored. What others are rare?

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
While most countries have draconian laws regarding private ownership of military equipment, it appears pretty easy to acquire and own a tank except in the most paranoid nations. At least legally, logistically is another matter. There are literally tens of thousands of tanks in various states of repair scattered all over the world, many in "tank graveyards"--the problem is that most of them are wrecks, have been stripped or are in accessible places making the cost of recovering them for restoration prohibitive. Where there was a war, there is a tank graveyard--Afghanistan, Iraq, Eritrea have huge parks, just waiting for prospective owners. they may have cleaned the place up now, but there used to be plenty of bashed up tanks around Ho Chi Ming City, even being used as accomodation by the locals.
Most third-worldy countries just allow old tanks to rust away, but in the West, with advanced scrap-metal and recycling industries, tanks parks shrink the total rapidly and all huge fleets of old Warsaw-Pact tanks and AFVs are vanishing rapidly, although one can always pick up an AFV for around Euro 8000-10,000 or a T72 (disarmed) for Euro 35,000 from Eastern Europe: no warranty. You collect!

As for WW2 German tanks, they are impossible to put a price on as the "interesting" ones are owned by museums and a couple of collectors who would probably never sell. There are only six Tiger tanks in existence and only one Tiger I (in Bovington ,UK) and 1 Tiger II (in Saumur France) are in running condition. The Tiger I at Bovington was restored a couple of years ago at a cost of GBP80,000, but that figure does not include the thousands of hours of volunteer labour involved, often in hand-making replacement parts. The same is true of the surviving Panthers, there are quite a few static shells on display, but only a couple of running examples. There are, though, always plenty of restoration projects in progress and plenty of bits and pieces of tanks just waiting for an enthusiast to get stuck in. There is a Tiger II project in the UK and at least two Panther projects in Germany under way. A rusted shell of a Panzer IV was on sale last year out of Bulgaria for Euro 150,000 ( I don't know if it was sold).

The Shadock's website

Jun 2013
Agraphur
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus"]Panzer VIII Maus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Would probably be the collectors item of choice...

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Since there's only one in existence and the Russian state isn't parting with theirs i don't think you'd get very far.

American vehicles are relatively common due to lend/lease and war surplus sales so the price wont be excessive.

The German tanks are probably the most iconic because of their technological reputation reputation and because so many were scrapped after the war theres very few left. As mentioned above the most desired will be panthers and tigers, probably not the Tiger 2 because its too big to run and show effectively.

Narrows it down and probably the tiger is the big seller.

Italian, Japanese and French models are virtually worthless simply because they dont have the iconic factor from postwar movies and they dont have the technical reputation.

British armour is almost as rare, theres a grand total of one churchill still running in the world and very little else outside of Bovington

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWhB_O7IxTU]Crusader Tank Bovington Tankfest 2008 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQZ6MkVPk0]Comet Tank at Bovington Tankfest 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

Jan 2014
Washington State
You Tube has several videos of WW2 tanks being pulled from lakes and swamps. I had wondered what they were worth. No Tiger though.

Apr 2011
Sarmatia
You Tube has several videos of WW2 tanks being pulled from lakes and swamps. I had wondered what they were worth. No Tiger though.
Lots of that is in Poland. Usually those WW2 tanks are next rebuilt and go to museums.

For example very rare like for the eastern front "Valentine"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIP6OdtSKzs]Akcja wydobycia czo?gu Valentine Mk IX ze starego koryta rzeki Warty w miejscowo?ci Warta. - YouTube[/ame]

Dec 2009
Poland
Mosquito said:
For example very rare like for the eastern front "Valentine"
Nice one.

And they say that the Lend-Lease was not important at all.

Important for archaeology - for sure. ;)

bartieboy

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
The Netherlands
Italian, Japanese and French models are virtually worthless simply because they dont have the iconic factor from postwar movies and they dont have the technical reputation.
worthless? Could I please have one then?

I wonder how many FT17's are still around.

Apr 2011
Sarmatia
I think there are some in afghanistan.
Its an interesting story. During Polish-Russian war in 1920 the Russians captured some Polish FT17's. Later they gave it to Afghanistan. Polish soldiers during their current mission in Afganistan found the wrecks of those old Polish tanks, send them to Poland and rebuilt them :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHDJK-XvvE"]Renault FT-17 - Legenda ożyła,Ma niemal sto lat! [II Wojna Światowa Kalnedarium] - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: