What are the root causes of anti semitism in Enlightened Western world ?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Jews in the Baltic States and other East European area were not hunted down for religious reasons

but for their association with Bolshevism .
they were particularly resented in Galicia for having collaborated with the Soviet secret police in the purge of the local intelligentsia
If I am not mistaken many progroms in Russia are from the 19th century and predate the existence of the Bolshevism (1903?). Anyway these events usually don’t have a sole explanation, they have many faces, but the religious perspective is there, it is present.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
If Jews dominate a profession or certain sectors of the economy it’s probably because they are highly qualified to do so, or simply work harder, better and smarter than their “Christian” competitors.
I agree in principle that Jews indeed seem to be quite bright and hardworking (the ones I know - not many, but not too few either - are all either accomplished or striving to become accomplished), but claiming that ethnic networking has nothing to do with it seems not very convincing - especially since we are talking about a minority group that has historically been isolated from mainstream society.

From what I've understood the notion of WASP "Old-Boy's clubs" are often brought up when discussing historic American circumstances, sometimes even taken as far as to mean discrimination in practice. This seems to be something most ruling elites and even most social groups practice, one way or another. Are you seriously arguing that Jews, given the historical circumstances from which they come and often having been made very aware of their own separateness from the rest of the population (often forcefully by that same "rest", absolutely - and sometimes by choice. Sometimes both.) are uniquely meritocratic? This is not convincing.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
The Jews in the Baltic States and other East European area were not hunted down for religious reasons
but for their association with Bolshevism .
they were particularly resented in Galicia for having collaborated with the Soviet secret police in the purge of the local intelligentsia
I agree with you that it seems justified to claim that Jews were overrepresented in politically radical causes (Gottfried makes a similar case) in Eastern Europe. Their voting patterns today in the US - a particular Jewish community that is largely made up of East European Jews from what I've understood - would seem to indicate this... As for that being the reason for persecution, well, I don't know. The most serious persecution happened when these countries were under German occupation after all, even if the locals (especially the Lats and Lithuanians from my understanding) often seem to have helped. It also makes sense that many of the locals would have a strong dislike of Jews, given how they were used as tax-collectors etc. for centuries by the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. Nobody likes the taxman... So there was a lot of bad blood.

Some persecutions after the Second World War (I believe there was an "almost-pogrom" in Poland during the 50s?) definitely seem to have been motivated specifically by the association of Jews and Communism, although I am not an expert in any way, that is my feel of it.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the pogroms were mostly located in Ukraine ,
the Ukrainian anarchist and national hero Makhno had his men slaughter Jews as enemies of his people

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
the pogroms were mostly located in Ukraine ,

the Ukrainian anarchist and national hero Makhno had his men slaughter Jews as enemies of his people
Yes, many were in Ukraine, in a time that Ukraine belonged to the Russian Empire, and I was thinking in some that happened even before Makhno was born.

Pardon my lazy bones to quote Wikipedia, I recall to have read this in a World History, so the level of detail must be somewhat similar: Anti-Jewish pogroms in the Russian Empire - Wikipedia

But we can trace similar events, often mentioned somewhat incorrectly as “progroms”, but probably more correctly called riots or massacres, to the Middle Ages. In Portugal the Jews lived in the “Judiarias”, Jewish neighbourhoods, since at least D. Pedro I (or before?), and the Judiarias often had to close their gates at night. In times of crisis those neighbourhoods suffered often the consequences of riots.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
that's my point , anti Jewish riots occurred where there were Jewish communities
that was not the case in most of of Russia "golden circle " or Eastward
there it was the Tatars who got a bad name

Similar History Discussions