What are you reading? v.2

Oct 2015
India
"Why I Assassinated Gandhi? Nathuram Godse", compiled and edited by Virender Mehra. Revised edition. Farsight Publishers and Distributors, Delhi. 2019.

Nathuram Godse, the assassin of Gandhi, immediately after firing shots at him, did not try to escape. He asked for police and gave himself up.

Nathuram's deposition in court was not allowed to be published by Govt of India. It was finally published about 40 years later in in 1977 by Nathuram's brother Gopal Godse.

The book I am reading includes the above disposition and some other facts.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
It has been published in Marathi ( the mother tongue of Godse and the language of the state of Maharashtra, southwestern India, long ago under the title ' Gandhi Hatya ani Mi ' , meaning ' I and the murder of Gandhi '. A play under the title of ' Mi, Nathuram Godse Boltoy ', meaning ' I , Nathuram Godse, am speaking. ' has been moderately successful .

Jul 2017
Europe
China in the Era of Xi Jinping: Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges
Robert S Ross, Jo Inge Bekkevold

Sep 2015
England
Ivan the Terrible by Robert Payne & Nikita Romanov
Interesting stuff (including the Cambridge History of Russia etc!).

Was it really Catherine II that invented the social system so to speak?

And were the people required to work 150 days in the year? The Times Concise History of the World said it was "serfs" and they had "to spend all their time labouring on their lords lands". ??!

Jan 2017
UK
Interesting stuff (including the Cambridge History of Russia etc!).

Was it really Catherine II that invented the social system so to speak?

And were the people required to work 150 days in the year? The Times Concise History of the World said it was "serfs" and they had "to spend all their time labouring on their lords lands". ??!
Theatre and the Opera were staged more frequently in the 18th century; early in his reign Peter I organised a couple plays on Red Square performed in Russian & German. A couple literary journals and cultural institutions were formed too under the reign of Catherine II's predecessor. I think the cultural and artistic scene was starting to grow before Catherine II's reign, she certainly intensified it.

In 1797 the serfs were limited by decree to 3 days a week serving their landowners, the other 3 days working for themselves with sundays off, although I doubt this was strongly enforced in a remote place like Siberia.
I imagine the serf experience varied region, time of year e.t.c. In some cases serfs could work whenever they wanted as long as they paid a certain amount of their harvest or money to the estate owner.

Sep 2015
England
Theatre and the Opera were staged more frequently in the 18th century; early in his reign Peter I organised a couple plays on Red Square performed in Russian & German. A couple literary journals and cultural institutions were formed too under the reign of Catherine II's predecessor. I think the cultural and artistic scene was starting to grow before Catherine II's reign, she certainly intensified it.

In 1797 the serfs were limited by decree to 3 days a week serving their landowners, the other 3 days working for themselves with sundays off, although I doubt this was strongly enforced in a remote place like Siberia.
I imagine the serf experience varied region, time of year e.t.c. In some cases serfs could work whenever they wanted as long as they paid a certain amount of their harvest or money to the estate owner.
Not surprising. That sort of makes 150 in the year if you discount Sundays. Pity the Cambridge History doesn't have any specifics on this thereafter. But there is always the survival rate of documentary evidence, records of some sort etc. Having said that it does sound to me reasonable, or a possible reality (somewhere between possible and probable?), that the lived experience might have varied - significantly enough. Not least due to the statistical reality of good men, ordering their estates in a like fashion. But also the factor of being smart and getting the better of potential problems. And in contrast to the individual (lord) tyrant of history, which i suspect some minds are more susceptible to believe in, wholesale, than others. I mean the reality of life cannot exactly be one or the other, during this period. A Levin would simply not understand the world in such a polarised form?