What are you reading? v.2

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
I just finished 1973: The First Nuclear War Crucial Air Battles of the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War and wrote a brief review on my blog.

Other, older works I just read are Ehrman's on the triumph of christianity and Southern's The Late Roman Army.

Sep 2015
England
I just finished 1973: The First Nuclear War Crucial Air Battles of the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War and wrote a brief review on my blog.

Other, older works I just read are Ehrman's on the triumph of christianity and Southern's The Late Roman Army.
With respect to Southern's The Late Roman Army: Was Gibbons even close?

Sep 2015
England
The two obviously differ on the reasons for collapse.
Aha very interesting. I plan reading into the classical world next year - having read an abridged Decline & Fall years ago - so nice to know there may indeed be much to discover, given the possibility/potential ! He is an historian from over 200 years ago with a sure reckoning.

Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
A Stephen Hawking day in the bookshop.BBC Reith lectures 1986, Theory of everything 2008 and A Brief History of Time. (not read at the same time!)

Feb 2019
Serbia
The Epic of Gilgamesh. It's a mandatory read for my studies, interestingly enough less than half of the book is the actual Epic of Gilgamesh with most of it being a quick summary of Mesopotamian history and personal opinions of the editors.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Salazar Vol. IV 1945-1958.
By Franco Nogueira? I read that collection some time ago, until volume IV. Quite partial, but I really enjoyed, mostly the previous volume, “Salazar III, As grandes crises 1936-1945” since it deals with the two great crisis, the Spanish Civil War and WWII. Unfortunately, I never read the ones during the Colonial War.

Jan 2014
Portugal
By Franco Nogueira? I read that collection some time ago, until volume IV. Quite partial, but I really enjoyed, mostly the previous volume, “Salazar III, As grandes crises 1936-1945” since it deals with the two great crisis, the Spanish Civil War and WWII. Unfortunately, I never read the ones during the Colonial War.
Exactly. Well, Franco Nogueira has a huge admiration, personal and publicly, for Salazar. Taking this into account, I actualy found it reasonable, its not impartial, but says what it must. Also its kind of tricky, because my personal opinion is that Salazar was indeed a good leader till 1945. I'm a democratic, without doubt, but one should understand that the period between 1920's-1945 was made for hard liners.
I also enjoyed very much the 3rd volume, but I read it after Diplomacia de Salazar 1932-1949, (Bernardo F. Pereira) and I was already overdosing on Spanish CW/WWII diplomacy.
The first volume was for me the most interesting, because it takes a very deep view on the mentality of the early years in the 20th century portuguese politics, the contrast in Salazar life between the rural world of Vimieiro and the academic life in Coimbra... Very insightful.
Now in this IV volume, the register still his the same, an exchange of chapters between foreign policy, internal affairs and Salazar private life. I was surprise from volume I, how Franco Nogueira was so good at writing history...

Reactions: Tulius