What are your favourite books of the Bible?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Since I am an Orthodox Christian, I do consider the Bible a holy book. I have read the entirety of the Bible and overall I liked what I had read. Of course, the Bible consists of many books (66 in Serbian Orthodoxy) and of course some books are more interesting than other. What are your favourites? Here are my top five:

1. the Epistle to the Hebrews - I think it really shows the differences between Judaism and early Christianity and explains the Christian viewpoint on the things like the Old Testament and the Jewish faith. It is a very interesting read.

2. Song of Songs - because it sticks out. It is one of the only two books of the Bible where God is not explicitly mentioned and therefore really stands out.

3. Kings - because it has the most politics out of all books. Sure, we don't really think all of it is accurate, but it is still interesting to read about things like the Assyrian conquest of the Northern Kingdom, sieges of Jerusalem, wars, religious schisms etc.

4. the Revelation - because it shows Christian eschatology and it is interesting to read about the end of the world.

5. Ezra and Nehemiah - an interesting read about the return of Jews from Babylon. I think it is interesting because it shows a period that was in many ways quite important for the Jews. They returned to Jerusalem, rebuilt the city and the Temple and affirmed their commitment to monotheism. It is also interesting to see the Persians portrayed in a relatively good light (especially Cyrus) because our perception of the Persians was also heavily influenced by the Greeks who of course saw them as invaders and enemies.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Since I am an Orthodox Christian, I do consider the Bible a holy book. I have read the entirety of the Bible and overall I liked what I had read. Of course, the Bible consists of many books (66 in Serbian Orthodoxy) and of course some books are more interesting than other. What are your favourites? Here are my top five:
I have always been fascinated by creation stories. So Genesis is a slam dunk winner for me.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I deliberately left out more known parts of the Bible like the Gospels, Genesis, Exodus because most of us are already somewhat familiar with those stories. I was much more interested in stories that are less known.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I deliberately left out more known parts of the Bible like the Gospels, Genesis, Exodus because most of us are already somewhat familiar with those stories. I was much more interested in stories that are less known.
Completely understand. Of the lesser known books, Ezekiel has always interested me, especially his vison by the river.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
As a Jew, I read through the Old Testament in Hebrew multiple times a year. I read the ESV one time - I feel like it has lost so much in translation. Isaiah is by far my favorite; its rhythm, cadence, and imagery in the original Hebrew is magnificent. I also love Micah 6:

"With what shall I come before the Lord,
and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
with myriads of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and what the Lord requires of you -
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God!"

I also love the Song of Songs (an allegory of the love between God and His people) and Proverbs.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Completely understand. Of the lesser known books, Ezekiel has always interested me, especially his vison by the river.
I get these mixed feelings when I read that vision by the river. On the one hand, I have no clue what in the world is going on there, but it's impossible to not be struck by the sense that you're reading something unspeakably profound.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I have always preferred prophets and prophecies, my choice for the Old Testament [which corresponds in good substance to the Hebrew Tanakh] is the Book of Daniel, while in the New Testament, the Book of Revelation is the most intriguing reading, in my opinion.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I get these mixed feelings when I read that vision by the river. On the one hand, I have no clue what in the world is going on there, but it's impossible to not be struck by the sense that you're reading something unspeakably profound.
Yes it is fairly obvious the author is experiencing something that words can not describe

Similar History Discussions