What are your Favourite Quotes from History?

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Ramón María Narváez y Campos (C19 Spanish general and politician): the story goes that when he was asked by the priesr at his death whether he forgave his enemies, he replied, "I have no enemies, I have had them all shot."

Benjamin Disraeli: "William Gladstone has not a single redeeming defect."

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics,"

Last edited:
"I have always said about Tony Benn that he immatures with age" - Harold Wilson

"All our final decisions are made in a temporary state of mind" - Marcel Proust

"There can be only one permanent revolution — a moral one; the regeneration of the inner man.
How is this revolution to take place? Nobody knows how it will take place in humanity, but every man feels it clearly in himself. And yet in our world everybody thinks of changing humanity, and nobody thinks of changing himself." - Leo Tolstoy

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I'm probably paraphrasing, but I think the gist is still there:

"We must all hang together or we will all hang separately" and "He who would trade liberty for security deserves and will get neither" both by Ben Franklin

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!" - General John Sedgwick shortly before he was shot

"I fear this will be the end of my reputation" - George Washington upon accepting command of the Continental Army

"Sergeants are shiftless and bear considerable watching" - George Washington, advice to young officers meaning, of course, that young officers can learn something by watching their sergeants

"Forage liberally off the countryside" - Sherman's orders before the March to the Sea (Sherman seems to have been familiar with Washington's advice)

"Men, you are not being punished for looting. You are being punished for getting caught at it" - annonymous officer during the March to the Sea (This is what happens when sergeants are not shiftless enough. Don't put your officer in a position where he can no longer look the other way.)

Feb 2019
Thrace
"In war, truth is the first casualty"
"veni, vidi, vici"
"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

"In peace, sons bury their fathers, in war, fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." - Tacitus

"Laws are silent in times of war" - Cicero

To add some Total War quotes! :D

EDIT: Apparently the game got it wrong and the Plato quote is actually attributed to George Santayana.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions