What are your Favourite Quotes from History?

Feb 2018
EU-Germany
"All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

"In peace, sons bury their fathers, in war, fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." - Tacitus

"Laws are silent in times of war" - Cicero

To add some Total War quotes! :D

EDIT: Apparently the game got it wrong and the Plato quote is actually attributed to George Santayana.

they're the best

May 2011
Rural Australia
"It has been said that though God
cannot alter the past, historians can;
it is perhaps because they can be useful to Him
in this respect that He tolerates their existence."

~ Samuel Butler (1835-1902) Erewhon Revisited

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
When the Premier of the State of Queensland 'admitted ' (in his own evasive way ) that he didnt understand what the 'Separation of Powers' was in the Australian political system ... even though it is supposed to be a 'cornerstone' .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Hmmm ... sounds like my old boss at the hospital, when he found out I was using his skull x-rays and a photograph to demonstrate at Uni that we can put a modern reconstruction of a modern human face on to an archaic human 'framework ' .

So, I dont think there was a 'last' Neanderthal ... they are still amongst us ! And can, apparently, take on managerial positions ( badly ) .

1556591473942.png 1556591652053.png

'I Can Create Neanderthal Baby, I Just Need Willing Woman’ - Daily Squib

( so what ? .... I can do the same with HSS . )

Jan 2017
Italy, EU
Loius XIV on his deathbed:

"Why do you weep? Did you think I was going to live forever?"

Augustus (last words IIRC):

"I found Rome a city of brick and left it a city of marble"

Charles v, Holy Roman Emperor:

"I speak Latin to God, French to men, Italian to women, German to my dog"

Raphael's epitaph in the Pantheon:

"Here lies Raphael: Nature feared to be outdone when he lived; and when he died, she feared to die with him"

Napoleon to one of his soldiers, after the soldier's hat was hit by a bullet:

"Good luck you are short"

Cicero on Caesar (after the Ides of March):

"He accustomed a free people to servile status. He conquered the unexperienced masses with distribution of wealth, and his opponents with terror and clemency. And yet he was man of intelligence, memory, culture...His actions were dangerous for the Republic, but Great."

Oct 2016
Ashland
Stonewall Jackson, as he lay dying, muttered a series of nearly incomprehensible orders and then, in a moment of lucidity: 'No, never mind all that. Let us cross the river and rest in the shade of the trees.'

Ethan Allen, dying, was told that flights of angels waited to bear him to rest: 'Waiting are they? Then let them wait.'

Similar History Discussions