What are your opinions on the Khmer Empire?

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I've visited the Angkor Wat complex a couple of times and also other Khymer temples. Very complex and fascinating stuff. The Angkor complex has two huge hand made reservoirs that are very impressive and still full of water.

Apr 2019
United States
I've visited the Angkor Wat complex a couple of times and also other Khymer temples. Very complex and fascinating stuff. The Angkor complex has two huge hand made reservoirs that are very impressive and still full of water.
I've always wanted to go there because the main thing I heard about the Khmers was their architecture and I've seen beautiful pictures of it.
Thanks for posting :)

it was a really impressive empire especially given their location, dont really understand how they achieved such sophistication, there was a lot of building involved in their empire, i watched some documentary about their hydraulic engineering, some of the docs focus on their stone working and others on their urbanization, their carvings are just mind blowingly intricate esp their angkor wat gallery. I think not only khmer but also other SEA builders really produced some really impressive architecture for a short while.

some people criticize that their architecture was low tech for their period, meaning they didn't use arches and vaults and built like ancient egypt but i think that one cannot make just tall stone structures with crude skills and no advanced architectural skills, archaeologists opine that the land was not suitable for heavy construction so khmer must have planned brilliantly so that their architecture didn't sink or slump

i think their architecture and building does the talking rather than some other empires where only written records survive.

regards

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions