What are your thoughts on actor and musician Jussie Smollett?

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Cases like this make me question the organization of the justice system in America, I cannot think that it is a good thing to have decisions about prosecutions made by people who are essentially political actors, rather than by hopefully neutral professionals. Needless to say the whole thing stinks, if they were going to let him off, they should at least have insisted that he acknowledge his guilt (for even the prosecutors are asserting that he was guilty).

Jul 2016
USA
Cases like this make me question the organization of the justice system in America, I cannot think that it is a good thing to have decisions about prosecutions made by people who are essentially political actors, rather than by hopefully neutral professionals. Needless to say the whole thing stinks, if they were going to let him off, they should at least have insisted that he acknowledge his guilt (for even the prosecutors are asserting that he was guilty).
Prosecutors aren't judges. Their job is to take evidence provided to them by police depts regarding criminal activity and then make a decision about whether or not they have enough evidence or reason to prosecute in criminal courts. They don't decide guilt, they simply try to prove it during a trial. Their jobs is not to be impartial, that is the job of the judge and jury. Anymore than the defense attorney's job is to be impartial. What type of prosecutor is politically neutral? Either they are a political appointee or representative of the people voted in.

In this case the prosecutor, because of her family/friend ties to the Smollett family, and because before it was found out that he faked it all she was trying to pressure the FBI to take over the case as a major hate crime, she officially recused herself from being involved in future decisions (which was the right call). But she actually stayed on and still pressured her subordinates for a deferred prosecution (which was the wrong call, a major ethics violation).

However, now the CPD is trying to get the FBI to take the case because some of the testimony Smollett made is a violation of federal laws too, including the use of funds to pay off the two brothers he used for the staged attack.

Additionally, the city of Chicago is suing Smollett to pay back the money they say he owes them for the investigation, where a lot of the evidence will end up being brought up.

And the two Nigerian brothers are suing Smollett's attorneys for libel for claiming they weren't hired by Smollett, which means if that goes to court they get to also bring up some of the evidence showing Smollett to have faked it all.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I know that a prosecutor isn't a judge, I was suggesting that they should be impartial in assessing the evidence for the case and so deciding whether it should be taken to court. Prosecutors are not political appointees in the UK, there is a prosecution staffed by barristers and solicitors and others with requisite skills, who are expected to be politically neutral like any civil servant, and to make their decisons on purely legal grounds.(In saying that even the prosecutors assert that Smollett was guilty, I was in no way suggesting that thta is the proper course of action for a prosecutor, it merely undelines how this case has been mishandled.)

Jul 2016
USA
I know that a prosecutor isn't a judge, I was suggesting that they should be impartial in assessing the evidence for the case and so deciding whether it should be taken to court. Prosecutors are not political appointees in the UK, there is a prosecution staffed by barristers and solicitors and others with requisite skills, who are expected to be politically neutral like any civil servant, and to make their decisons on purely legal grounds.
There job is not to be impartial. They're prosecutors. They look at the evidence, decide it warrants action or not, and if so, prosecute. They couldn't even do their jobs if they were impartial. Anymore than a defense attorney could be impartial and still do their job.

Having the ability to pick who actually runs prosecuting offices is part of living in a Republic. To many, it beats having faceless bureaucrats or political appointees who are not answerable to the people, strangers to the specific places they work. That might seem weird, but then again the US doesn't have royalty, lords, etc. Our judges and lawyers don't dress up like they're in the 16th century either.

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Oh for goodness sake, in saying that thay should be impartial, I was obviously saying that they should judge whether to prosecute on the basis of the evidence, without being influenced by political or any other external consideration. The second paragraph is too silly to merit a response.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
I feel sorry for anyone whose parents decide to call them "Jussie".
Every member of his family, five siblings along with his parents, have the initials JS. I would rate Jussie as the second least weird name among the six children!

Smollett was the third of six children of Janet and Joel Smollett. He has three brothers and two sisters: Jake, Jocqui, Jojo, Jurnee and Jazz.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Every member of his family, five siblings along with his parents, have the initials JS. I would rate Jussie as the second least weird name among the six children!

Smollett was the third of six children of Janet and Joel Smollett. He has three brothers and two sisters: Jake, Jocqui, Jojo, Jurnee and Jazz.
"Jurnee"???

Similar History Discussions