What are your thoughts on the House of Orleans?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What are your thoughts on the House of Orleans? :

House of Orléans - Wikipedia

Personally, I view them as being more in touch with public attitudes in France in the late 18th and 19th centuries--in contrast to the Bourbons, many of whom appear to have been stuck in an absolutist mentality. I do think that it was a mistake for Philippe Egalite to vote for Louis XVI's execution (a vote that ultimately didn't even save his own life during the Reign of Terror less than a year later), but I hold Egalite's son Louis-Philippe in higher regard. True, Louis-Philippe did ultimately get overthrown in 1848, though France was certainly not the only European country that experienced a revolution during this time. Anyway, though, Louis-Philippe struck me as at least being willing to make symbolic gestures on behalf of the French people--as opposed to his predecessor Charles X (who appears to have still believed in the divine right of Kings to rule).

Ultimately, I think that the Orleanists were France's best bet for those who wanted the French monarchy to survive and adapt to the new liberal ideas of the Enlightenment and beyond. Thus, for French monarchists, it's a huge shame that the Orleanists could not become the undisputed successors to the French throne before support for the French republic could be solidified.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the House of Orleans?

Similar History Discussions